CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

First trail ride with ODP water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First trail ride with ODP water pump

Got it out on the trails for the first time since the install. My fan never turned on during the 3+ hours of riding we did. Outside temps were in the mid to upper 60's. I've ran these same trails when it was colder outside with snow on the ground, and my fan would come on from time to time with the stock water pump.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool nice to hear

Old 03-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I want one. With the PWR radiator and that, my fan should NEVER come on. I got the ESR temp guage, the high flow pump will complete my cooling system. When its 110 at Glamis this summer my bike should be nice and cool.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

I've ran these same trails when it was colder outside with snow on the ground, and my fan would come on from time to time with the stock water pump.
Not trying to be a smart a$$ here so please don't take it that way but how do you know when your fan comes on while on a ride? I ask because when I tried to monitor my fan I could never tell except when I was stopped. That doesn't really count because thats when it gets hot enough for the fan to come on anyway. I was trying to diagnose my fan once and there was no indication that clearly told me when the fan turned on or off while on the move. just wondering.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FatHolly
I want one. With the PWR radiator and that, my fan should NEVER come on...
Not to be a Smartazz either, whats so wrong with the fan coming on to do its job? I understand if the fan is on all the time it would be an issue. Is it possible to have too much cooling which would take the motor out of its ideal operating temp?

Old 03-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well the fans are notorious for going out with bad bearings, so that would be bad if it is on all the time.

However, I have one issue with the water pump. This is something my dad and I discussed and I would like some other input. If you run a higher output water pump that moves more water, the water can actually end up stagnating due to the fact that it cannot enter the radiator any faster. A radiator will only accept and move so much water. If your pump is trying to put too much water through, it can cause back pressure and sitting water, thus ruining the water pump. Does this mean that the stock radiator does not even approach maximum capacity with the stock water pump?

Old 03-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sandaholic
Originally posted by: FatHolly
I want one. With the PWR radiator and that, my fan should NEVER come on...
Not to be a Smartazz either, whats so wrong with the fan coming on to do its job? I understand if the fan is on all the time it would be an issue. Is it possible to have too much cooling which would take the motor out of its ideal operating temp?
Sand,

As far as the motor coming out of its ideal temp range, Thats the thermostats job. When the thermostat cant maintain a good temp, then the fan comes on to try and get the water temp down to that range - Once the fan comes on, you are already out of your optimum temp range.

In this case, a cooler motor will generate higher horsepower. Many DS riders have experienced problems with over heating, especially after applying aftermarket motor mods. For the totally stock quad, the benefits would include the "bright and shiney" and a longer life fan simply because its not used as much.

For built motors that operate in low RPM ranges, such as trails, really ..... the benefit should be obvious.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: monkeyinajar
Does this mean that the stock radiator does not even approach maximum capacity with the stock water pump?
At low RPMs, absolutely yes.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

I replaced to fans in my ds,the stock ones are junk the contacts break,found that out when I took them apart,I bought a fan for a honda cbr on ebay for around 20 bucks its a brushless fan and it throws enough air to cool your legs,I also hooked it up to a switch so if my temp senser goes to crap and for some lucky reason I notice it I can just flip a switch.been runnig this fan for a couple of seasons with no problem,love the ds but also love the reliability of a honda part.

Quick Reply: First trail ride with ODP water pump