CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds650 Won't start :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ds650 Won't start :(

To check for spark I put a screwdriver in the coil boot, touching the metal of course. then i touch the screwdriver stem on the engine or frame. I try to start while doing this and there is no spark?

The valve clearance I will try to have checked. Thank you for the link [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Would this cause it to not start? Or not get spark?

Thank you guys again for helping me narrow it down. When I was on my own, it was a bummer. But now my hopes are high [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I am almost certain the problem is in the loop that "dune me" explained. But-Would a bad cdi box give no spark? Or would you still get spark with a bad cdi box? Just trying to eliminate that possibility.

Good to hear coils dont go bad easily. By the way do these bikes have a stator? if so; what is one. Would that cause it to not start. Like I said im kinda of a noob so i hope the ton of questions does'nt bother you guys. Thanks

Old 04-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm bettin' it isn't the CDI. . . again. . . I've NOT heard of them going bad.

Check your PM. . . I'll send you my number.

The spark can be difficult to see.

Are you sure you have fuel in your bowl? The float on the carb could be stuck closed not allowing fuel into your bowl and thus not into your engine.

Don't be so sure it isn't getting spark just because you can't see it. It MAY be something else. If you have any carb cleaner, give a little spray near the air intake as you crank her over (works real well if the filter is direct mount and removed.) If she caughs from that or some ether or similar than you know it is probably a fuel issue.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome aboard. I am sure it will be solved soon. RUSS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
I'm bettin' it isn't the CDI. . . again. . . I've NOT heard of them going bad.

Check your PM. . . I'll send you my number.

The spark can be difficult to see.

Are you sure you have fuel in your bowl? The float on the carb could be stuck closed not allowing fuel into your bowl and thus not into your engine.

Don't be so sure it isn't getting spark just because you can't see it. It MAY be something else. If you have any carb cleaner, give a little spray near the air intake as you crank her over (works real well if the filter is direct mount and removed.) If she caughs from that or some ether or similar than you know it is probably a fuel issue.

Mite be a little off topic, but i had to change out a CDI on my sled this year.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not saying it doesn't ever happen, just haven't heard of it on the DS that often. I'ld bet 10:1 it isn't the CDI. . . he may even have spark. Sometimes it is just difficult to see.

Try opening the screw on the float bowl to make sure fuel is getting into the bowl. If the floats are stuck-up you may get flow out of the tank but, not into the carb bowl where it is needed.
Spray some starter fluid (NOTE: I haven't tried this myself) into the intake and see if she caughs at all.

Fuel
Compression
Spark
Air

That's what you need. I've found it to most often be fuel or compression if she's turning over (which rules out electrical).
Compression would lead me to the valve clearance. Again, if it hasn't been done yet just do it. . . great piece of mind.
Fuel - Again, check the bowl. Does it smell like fuel out the exhaust pipe? Just want to be sure we have fuel.

Hopefully it is something easy and we can get him up and running again.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate every effort u guys give to help me. Thank You, I am going to try some fuel tests today, i will let u guys know how it goes.
Ride On

Old 04-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't take long for gas to go bad. I hope you get it figured out. =]

Old 04-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

still tryin

Old 04-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Check your kill switch! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 04-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If a quad has been sitting for a while, the most common reason it won't start is when the fuel evaporates from the pilot jet. It leaves a residue that plugs the tiny hole. Have you ever pulled a float bowl on a carb before?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Get a manual and find the pilot jet, pull it out and clean the hole. Put new fuel in the tank. Make sure the air filter is clean and the plugs are new and start it up. I bet she goes.

I think the best way to check spark is to pull both the plug wires and one spark plug. insert the plug into one of the plug wires, hold on to the insulator and ground the threads to spot on the frame. Don't get it near the gas tank, lol but you should see spark.

I would be surprised if you didn't have spark. The bike sounds like it has been sitting, so I am betting on plugged pilot jet.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]