CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Reliable Mods to get me over 50hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable Mods to get me over 50hp?

Originally posted by: JMann2380
Also is heavier duty clutch or springs suggested with these mods?
Clutch, and springs.... Yes!

Old 04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Yaaaaaa,
I forgot about that funny smell.

What FatHolly said ... you will need stronger springs... switchem out early (60% RW's are cheap) and you will extend the life of your clutch.
Got more power right, now you will proabbly go with bigger sand tires which hook up more thus putting more stress on the old clutch. Kind of goes hand in had... but sitting at 50 horse is a nice sweet spot.
Think 65+ gets you into other needed upgrades as well (ext swingarm, fuel, shocks) More more more....
Speed sure can empty your wallet pretty quick...

Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Alrighty, lots of info, thanks! So what would be the best bang for the buck, in order of importance?

1) Carb w/ ported intake (either tm45 or Lectron)
2) Vortex Ignition
3) Cams???

Now I ride alot of woods so I guess I need the airbox, so how much gain will I be looking at for the first two and then how much if I add the cams? Also which cams? The bike already has a load, I weigh about 300, so I guess with anymore upgrades I should be looking at a new clutch or at least springs. Is this the direction I should be going?

Old 04-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

OK you had the order pretty good on your list. I would go with ported intake and carb first. For the woods you should get the tm45, setup with Hightowers mods to pumper and throttle. The cost of the porting will run between $75 and $150 depending on who you get to port it. The tm45 brand new will run you about $400, but you should be able to find a used on for a lot less. The vortex will run you close to $400 unless you find used. And the cams are very much up to you. There are A LOT of different opinions on the cam question. If you want anything significant you will need a shim under valve spring setup, a lot of the cam combo's will require a new piston as well to make sure everything clears. You could get drop in cams but they will not give you the power gains that the more aggressive cams will. Shim under kits run about $350 and cams will run you anywhere from $300 to $450. A piston can run anywhere from $150 to $450, it all about how much you want to spend. Personlly I did all the bolt on stuff first and next I am saving for the big bore so that I don't have to buy a piston and cams twice... as the saying goes power costs $$$$ how fast do you want to go! Good luckl

Old 04-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Cams are based on YOUR riding style just dont let anyone talk you into a set of cams based on there riding habits, there are many grinds out there and they work with different combinations of motor work or work to be done later, call the MFG and chat with them, of course each Mfg will tell you that there's is the best and remember YOUR the one riding the DS not the others on this forum.
Oh let the MAYHEM about fricken cams begin...............
But just for note so far I have only found 4 US venders on cams so far are Ron Woods, The Bom (Pami) WEB, HPR [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Probably a newbie question, but why is the TM45 better for woods rather than the Lectron?

Old 04-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JMann2380
Probably a newbie question, but why is the TM45 better for woods rather than the Lectron?
The tm45 is better for trails woods because of it low end power, and throttle response... the lectron is better for wide open drags and dune riding. The carb question is also a can of worms... anyone who disagrees... me and you, behind the water tower after work, or we can clock out now... lets settle this. LOL

Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

TM has the accelerator pump, nice right off the flick of the throttle, no bog just a strong smooth rev, The TM has a strong throttle spring but its good for ya tuffens up your thumb!
Do searches on the TM45, HighTower is now the Guru on the TM45 hes made it alot easier for us to dial the TM45 carb in.

Oh yeah FatHolly!!! well I challenge you to a beer drinking contest!!! (No Light Beer) first one that leaves to go potty has to wear a dress while riding his DS through Boardmanville Glamis on the weekend of the 29th [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] hehehehe

Old 04-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ERBEDS650

Oh yeah FatHolly!!! well I challenge you to a beer drinking contest!!! (No Light Beer) first one that leaves to go potty has to wear a dress while riding his DS through Boardmanville Glamis on the weekend of the 29th [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] hehehehe
Oh Hell Yea! Now we're talkin... but really no light beer? Dude I'm sponsored by the Silver Bullet! The only full strength brew I mess with is Newcastle... and you don't want to get me going on that ****... 6 pack and I'm 10 foot tall and bulletproof... but really full pop beer makes me fat... or was that all the rolled tacos I eat... well its one of those, but you don't want to challenge me to a rolled taco contest either... oh thats a great idea... a rolled taco and beer eating contest... man sometimes I even amaze myself.

Sorry to get off track here JMann... ERBEDS650 is right on about the carbs. I would say the TM45 for what you will be doing.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

id say boss noss or boondocker hide the system and lay the power down when u need it

Quick Reply: Reliable Mods to get me over 50hp?