CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Reliable Mods to get me over 50hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable Mods to get me over 50hp?

I have an 04 Baja with a HMF slip on and no toil air filter. I had it dynoed with these mods on knobbies and here is the graph:

Horsepower
Torque

I am looking to add some reliable power and was thinking a carb maybe and ported intake? Maybe vortex ignition. Any other suggestions, will these get me over 50 hp?

Old 04-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Pipe, Carb, CDI & Lightweight drive train will get you there, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

PS: Of course the ported intake goes hand and hand with the carb. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

I second Choose's sugestion about least the ported intake... I did not dyno mine but the power is noticable and very nice... I highly recoment it. I would love to get a carb but I went and bought a another toy instead. I'll get it sooner or later though.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Yep Ported Intake and the always fun E bay shopping for a TM45 or a 46 Lectron do come up that couls add a few extra Horses, was your air lid on or off for the dyno??

Old 04-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

Airbox lid was on and I had 22" Razr II's with a 15 tooth front sprocket. I thought I read removing the airbox lid decreased horsepower, true? Also what carb do you guys suggest?

Old 04-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

TM45.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

And what are my options, just TM45 or Lectron 46 or 48? From what I read I was leaning towards the Lectron.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Also is heavier duty clutch or springs suggested with these mods?

Old 04-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

JMann2380,
I also have an 04 and I peaked out at just above 50 hp mine hit 50.93 hp and comparable Torque numbers.
I did exactly as these guys said
TM45 Carb W/ Port matched Intake, Removed the AirBox entirely, replaced my exhause with the Ron Woods Full Exhaust and CDI... Yep that pretty much did the trick. O ya get a GOOD BIG air filter cause she's gonna want to breath now to make more power.
O and a pretty experanced Dyno tuner....As they are worth every dime I had to pinch out.
I am still running a stock bore/stroke/compression and I am beating my 686 Raptor friend up the biggest of of hills and down the flat drags.
He is pretty good rider (vary experanced) but just dosent have the off the line MID and Top end power I do !: - )
He claims that he starts pulling on me at the TOP end but what do I care its after the fun is over anyway...
This is a great combo... : - )
Go with it and you will be happy till some one faster comes along... and at 3 bucks a gallon you may hold the lead for a while.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
-Later

Old 04-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Make sure you have an outerwear and you richen the carb a bit and remove that airbox lid. Also remove the gasket from the box as well. That will help a bunch.

I could be mistaken about this but as I recall a stock carb is good for more than 50 hp if you perform the right modifications to it. OMR seems to be the foremost expert on Mikuni 42's (stocker). He could tell us. I think the key to it would be to take the money you will spend on an aftermarket carb and run better cams. You just want to make sure you use cams that maintain a strong vacuum signature at low rpm's since the stock carb is partially vacuum actuated. (No race cams) I would put a set of good trail cams that don't require the upgraded shim under bucket conversion like Web110's or the HPR equivelant. (Does anyone know if A1 & A2 cams need the bucket kit?) Do the appropriate mods (they are all virtually free) to the stock carb and install a set of good cams and I bet you break the 50 hp mark for about $300. I would stay with the stock ignition until you buy the Vortex ignition though. There is no need for you to rev beyond the stock rev limiter with the mods you are looking at and DS's already come with a fair amount of timing advance (25 deg peak)

That is my $0.02.

Btw, if you do go with a different carb, i would buy the Lectron 46hv.

Quick Reply: Reliable Mods to get me over 50hp?