CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what's eveyone doing for kids quads

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's eveyone doing for kids quads

i have an atc 70...this thing is great and in incredible shape, but looking for something easier for my boy to learn on...right now i put it in 2nd gear and release him in the yard but it doesnt work out...he stops or goes to fast the gear...to young for shifting..

anybody have kids riding...he is 4

Old 04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, I bought my daughter a lt50 when she was 6. It was good for her to learn on, but that was it. Once she had it down it wasnt enough. She could go fast enough on the hard pack, just couldnt go anywhere in the sand. But my other daughter is now 4, and with the screw turned in far enough so she dont go fast, it wont move off the line. Not worth the money. I have a Ds 90 for my oldest, and I can lock it in first gear and she can rev it to the moon, and only go 5 mph. I like that. But its to big for my 4 year old.I have heard good things about the Kasea 50's.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

My kids first motorized quad was a Kasea 90, it was great for the first year or two but when my boy got comfortable enough on it, it just was really lacking to play in the sand, I upgraded him to a DS650 and he's been riding it for about 2.5 years, that is a big jump for any kid and I don't recomend it to just any one, he can follow me any where, side hill and cross razors and race all day, now he wants a conversion bike...go figure.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have 3 LT80s and we love them. My daughter is 9 and rips on hers and my boy is 2 and he rides on one with me and the third my dad or wife will ride. Its our thing when I get home from work every day. They are waiting for me to ride. The 80s have a way to govern but will also rip if you need. The LT80s have plenty of acc. for them like pipes, seat covers, headlights and performance stuff.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Started out with an LT-80 for the daughter. She was almost 5 when we got it for her. . . keep in mind, we only ride sand and when you ride in the sand you need a little more power than packed dirt. An 80 may have been a little big at the time but, that didn't last very long.

Just bought a Honda 250EX for her. . . she just turned 9 and is probably a little small for her age. She handles the bike fine (just got back from her first trip on the bike.) The new Honda 250EX has some great features but, that's not the bike for you right now.

The LT-80 is a great kids quad and you probably can't go wrong with it. You can limit the throttle and there is a brass bushing in the carb that limits the stroke of the needle if I remember correctly. If you go take a look at these, there is a screw on the front side of the thumb throttle that can be set to limit the amount of throttle you give you little-guy. Although, from what you are saying about putting the bike in gear and setting him loose, he probably wouldn't have any trouble with the LT-80's power.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

TRX250 EX.... the only way to fly. If the child is say 10 - 12, I'd look to a TRX300 or Suzuki's first shifting quad. I believe it's a 300, but maybe a 250.

Don't go with any of the small stuff. You'll be selling it in a year.

Good Luck

Old 04-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

We bought 2 Kazuma 90's for our boys they are just right for my 3 yr old and my 6yr old is the most cautious kid you have probably ever met so it is great for him. He just likes to give a little gas and brake all day. My 3yr old will probably be ready to move up before him. The oldest take after his mom that way and the youngest is a daddy's boy full throttle which is turned in a little and up any hill he thinks he can make it up. But depending on the size of the kid they are good. Mine are not big so they work for know. You can see pics in my profile. Good luck

Old 04-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have 5 kids. Two boys 2 and 4, and three girls 8, 10, and 11. We have two Honda TRX 90s, one Polaris Predator 90 and a old Suzuki LT50. I started them all out on the LT 50 just before they turned 4, just so they could say they started riding when they were three.

The LT is so small that one they get the throttle down and braking its already time to move them up.

The Hondas and the Polaris are plenty fast for us on the ranch, but in the sand its time to get something in the 250 range for the older kids. Don't get me wrong, they can still get around, but not for much longer. The nice thing is we can just hand them down. Its funny to thing the Honda ATC 90 was the adult three wheeler back in the day and now the 90s are to small for our kids. I still have an ATC 90 with a big bore kit, grooved raw hides, and an extended Helm and Son frame. (Not I will not be showing up at FSWs with it)

One thing I didn't think much of until we got it home was how nice the electric start and reverse was on the little Predator. This is the 8 year olds and it only took her 5 minutes to have backing up down pat. Its really nice to not have to pull her back all the time, or have them climbing off to back up. If I had it to do over again I probably would not have gotten the Hondas just for those two reasons.

All of our little quads have held up really well. The kids do all the maintenance with me on them and I think its a great experience for them beyond just the riding.

I see you are from Nevada, do you go to Sand Mountain? We are going to be at Sand Mountian for Fathers day, maybe we will see you there.

Scott

Old 04-24-2006, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like you are looking for a quad for a 4 year old that doesnt require shifting. if you want a nice little four stroke, electric start, fully automatic I would suggest the yamaha raptor 50. my brother just bought one for his 5 year old daughter and she is doing great with it. its quiet and even has full suspension.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

We have an LT80. It probably gets ridden more than any of our quads, it's ridden daily.

Quick Reply: what's eveyone doing for kids quads