CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander Spar Frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander Spar Frame

When you subtract the sag in the front suspension the GC is true at 12". Other manufactures measure GC at the floorboards, that is higher than the lowesr point. For rock crawling crank up the preload to max and add skids.
Remember the higher up you go the less stabile a ATV will be.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

I just got my new 2006 800 Outlander Max XT yesterday. It is in my garage and is in stock configuration. I'll measure the clearance to the bottom of the frame under the motor and let you know what I get.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

Just measured the 800. It was 11 inches from the floor to the bottom of the frame.

This is in stock configuration and AFTER I rode it into the garage. I weight 350#s and DID NOT unload springs after riding it. I can honestly say that the quad probably would have an inch of sag after I sat on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

O.K....so you need skid plates. So dont get squirrley with the machine until you have 'em. I dont see the big to do here...whren i owned the King Quad...you had to get the reverse module (ECM) installed, then it was brass steering rods, etc. I just learned to live with a few limitations. The reason why I ultimately dumped the bike was 3 dead batteries and then a no start in my garage. No dependability. The Bomb lives up to the hype...I am willing to deal with the skid issue. It's worth it.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Of the three dealers in my area (albeit that they are small) only 1 has experienced a cracked frame. It was on an '04 400 and was warranteed no questions. The one dealer even said Bombardier had agreed to warranty a crack even if it was past the 3-4 years. That makes me sleep much better.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: azsandrider
Just measured the 800. It was 11 inches from the floor to the bottom of the frame.

This is in stock configuration and AFTER I rode it into the garage. I weight 350#s and DID NOT unload springs after riding it. I can honestly say that the quad probably would have an inch of sag after I sat on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Went to my dealer yesterday, he had 7 new '07 800's, XT and non-XT, none of them had 11" clearance. You must have gotten a good one. I'm changing my front springs, cause I only have 8-1/2". Post back if yours comes down to mine after riding it awhile, although mine had only 9" when it was new. Got 700 miles on it now, luv it.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have a Max XT, so the springs should be stronger.

BRP advertised 12" clearance, they didn't say it would last forever!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

ALL springs WILL sag a little after awhile, no matter who made the quad.

The spring adjustments were in the middle, so I have 3 'clicks' up ad 3 'clicks' down. The other 800's in the dealership were also configured this way, so I supposed it was the factory position. When I got the 400 Outlander Max last year, the spring adjustment was on the lowest position and I went up 3 'clicks'.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: azsandrider
I have a Max XT, so the springs should be stronger.

BRP advertised 12" clearance, they didn't say it would last forever!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

ALL springs WILL sag a little after awhile, no matter who made the quad.

The spring adjustments were in the middle, so I have 3 'clicks' up ad 3 'clicks' down. The other 800's in the dealership were also configured this way, so I supposed it was the factory position. When I got the 400 Outlander Max last year, the spring adjustment was on the lowest position and I went up 3 'clicks'.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Ok, some of the GC due to sag is probably lost in shipping.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Yes, daranello, I've seen pics of some really trashed spars. You really do need skids, and Ricochet is what most are using.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:12 AM
Range Rover

I just finished making and installing a 3/16 alu. plate from front to rear. Only 6 inches wide to cover the spar plus one inch on each side. Drilled no holes in the frame. Only cost about $75 including stainless bolts. It's not going to protect it from constant bashing but the times I happen to make contact it will more than do the job. I will post some picks if I can get my son to help me and anybody is interested.