CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ATV Source: Polaris 800 conquers the Bomb 800

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Source: Polaris 800 conquers the Bomb 800

as for visco lok not working with bigger tires im not sure but i saw some photos of a 1 of their shows that they had which was a series and had all brp products n they went around the world to dif places with em ... well neways they had mud bog pictures on there and if i remember right i thought i saw 1 with huge tractor tires on it so idk might possibly look into that

Old 05-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Bombardier should have put a a mechanical override switch to totally lock up the front diff if the rider desires. Hopefully BRP listens to their customers or the aftermarket is listening.

Is anyone familiar enough with the actual internals of the BRP front diff to know if that would be a difficult engineering task to design something like that?

By the way if we're talking about systems that weren't so well thought out ever try to take a polaris down a steep hill? Sweet merciful crap. I did. Talk about pucker factor. The thing was skittering and the wheels were wanting to lock up and the *** end was wanting to swap ends. Might be ok if you never wanted to go down hills. Sorry Polaris but you dropped the ball with that one. I thought it was broken but I'm told is is suppose to act like that!?

Oh and the looks. My god. Their utility quads are the most hideous quads on the market. Looks like they melted a rubbermaid trashcan on the front of fourwheeler. It isn't like they can't make a nice looking quad. Their sport models look very nice. Why they insist on making *** ugly utility quads is beyond me.

The outlander isn't perfect but they've got some serious issues too but they're probably as good as anything on the market right now from what I can tell form my research. Probably what I'm going to go with if nothing changes market wise when I buy my new ute late this fall.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Range Rover

CaptQ, Certainly got some totally excellent yuks from your comments. A good friend bought a 800 EFI Polaris last summer. It's in my garage right now - over winter storage. I've got about 50 miles on it. The first time he drove it he was so concerned he wanted to use my trailer to take it back to the dealer..."Somethings wrong with it. It's almost uncontrollable going down the driveway (it's gravel and steep), slides all over the place and clunks like the transmission is about to fall out." Well, of course all that trama is normal. It's very comfortable and certainly fast enough. Sounds sweet at idle. I agree with you about the racks. They certainly could have moulded the plastic to make that storage area - a grand idea for sure - more useful.

As for the Vicso-Loc, I also would like a manual lock override. Coupled with their limited slip would be the best of both worlds, but from an engineering standpoint would require a redesign of the front diff. The Visco-Loc works VERY WELL in the slippery stuff, like mud and gravel, but just doesn't hack it in the slow going technical stuff where you are gentle with the throttle, not "jamming" it, as Cowboy said. BRP should also make the 4x4 "shift on the fly."

As for looks, well, that's personal. I happen to like the new AC models and the Outty is beginning to grow on me. The rest I can take or leave save for a couple that are just plain butt ugly to my eye, but again, that's a personal issue.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the nice informative reply Jimja! I really like the bomb 800 from what I have seen of it. A manual locker would be awesome, its really nice on my KQ, and i love the system on my cousins kawis, the pull lever is sweet i think, pull it as ya need it. Just got my KQ recently, so itll be awhile before a bomb comes into play, maybe theyll offer a manual locker soon.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: JimJa
Somethings wrong with it. It's almost uncontrollable going down the driveway (it's gravel and steep), slides all over the place and clunks like the transmission is about to fall out." Well, of course all that trama is normal. .
Poolaris is wierd you have to be on the throttle and ride the brakes down hills or your gonna taear the seat with you butcheeks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

The pooo 700 was the first quad of the poos that i experienced the CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.. what the hell is makin that noise.. I really can't decide where its comming from.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean, about the odd noises that Polaris quads make. The raddle clank is typicaly the heat shields on the exhaust, there is also a comon clunk clunk sound that is form the CVT housing, that I believe relates to the EBC, once it gets some where on it. There were problems on the older Poo's that caused a pop sound from the clutch housing that was from the CVT housing cover, that would worp and get deformed and then rub on the CVT clutch as it was spinning. For years even though we had a few polaris quads we would be camping and setting around BS-ing and you would hear a quad coming down the trail and everyone could always guess the Poo's. they just have that destinct falling apart sound to them. LOL

Old 05-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Range Rover

As you know, Polaris doesn't have a conventional 4x4 system, it's actually all wheel drive. In order for the fronts to engage, the rears must slip (relative to the fronts). When the EBC detects a difference in speed it engages the 4x4 system - clunk. Then the speed difference disappears and the EBC releases the 4x4 - clunk. You squeeze the brake lever and the axle with the least traction slides a little (usually the rear going down a hill) and the process repeats - clunk, clunk, and so on. By applying throttle and brake at the same time you are attempting to match front and rear axle speeds to stop the clunking. Pretty difficult to do. And of course the pucker factor is directly proportional to the square of the steepness of the hill. P=(S*C)2 , where P is the pucker factor, S is the steepness of the hill and C is your ability to control the damn thing.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hell. i have the 06 outty max 800 with itp 26x11x12. seems to grab on everything, but maybe the 26's are stock size.dobeckbox exhaust improved and what a diff, its kind of scarey on anything you can get traction on.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

the internals of the front dif well the way to explain it is that it has oil in 1 side and pumps into the other side when it slips which you all know but from what our rep tells us its seperate from the reg dif oil and unless some1 would like to sacrifice their front dif to c if theres a way you can put oil in the other cylinder then we'll just have to wait and find out if brp does it