CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Some of you with a Tach??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some of you with a Tach??

I have the DS with out the tach, and I keep reading about how they seem to break on the threads, and I havebeen riding quads for over 20years with out a tach, what do they do for you with them? i just feel and listen to the motor to shift and when climbing big azz sand dunes the last place I would be looking is at the tach to see if im at red line!

Old 05-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

Its fun to watch..Not really necesary..

Old 05-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

I just spent all day at the dunes riding and to be honest i only glanced at my tach for idle speed.I think you have a good point about not looking at a tach when you are riding.Since you have been riding so long i would think that you can hear what needs to happen and when.If my Baja had not came with a tach i would not have purchased one for the reasons stated above.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

My baja obviously came with one. I liked it only for small occasional times like setting the idle speed precicely, or when bein tapped out and seein exactly what my rpm is at the time. It broke a while back, and to be honest, 99% of the time i don't miss it. You don't really look at it at all when riding, as stated above, but is nice for the occasional use. Not worth replacing in my opinion. but just my .02

Old 05-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

I have actually got used to using it allot. I use it for shifting through the last couple gears 3rd and 4th so i shift at around 7 thousand rpms and it is nice because with my gearing right now it also tells me my approx MPH reading like say if im going 5th gear 6 thousand rpms im doing around 60mph give or take one or two. But i dont think i would go out and buy it if i never had it to start off with....i can shift the exact same without looking at the tac and there isnt really any bonus to having it other than small little things here and there.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

If you run /race up big sand hills, (on the dyno) Its always good to see where you making most hp and torq and gear your bike to run at that RPM in that gear, Thats why I use a tach.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dsdrew
Its fun to watch..Not really necesary..

I agree

Old 05-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

To piggyback on what Annihilator said, the tac is good when you are racing. I should be specific though.... HILL RACING. Not sure that you would have enough time to look down and do everything that is necessary on a 300ft flat track.

On the hill, especially if you are like some of us who really try to tune their gearing to the powerband, the tac is essential. You'll be really suprised where you are actually running if you've never used one before. GREAT tuning tool if used correctly.

If you shooting the hill and look down on your stage 3 and you are pulling a solid 5K.... your tac is telling you that you need to gear for more rpm. Don't gear for 10k, simply go up in the back or down on the front to achieve a better resting spot for your monster. I like to see my tac in the 6500 - 7k area. Seems to work well for me. that's not where I peak going through the gears, but its where my final gear up the hill stays. That's ususally in 4th spraying. I tend to shift in the 8500 - 8800 area. Remember that tire size as well as weight affect things dramatically. I'm running 25in tripple buffs in the rear with lightened gears, chain and wheels. I'm running 15/41. Annihilator is running more gear, but his bike is made to drag with all the ULTRA LIGHT goodies. He's pulling the bigger gearing and does it well. But without a tac, tuning to his exact needs becomes a crap shoot.

In the desert.... I never look at the tack. Go figure.

Good luck

Old 05-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A tach is just extra weight LOL throw it away LOL