CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can-Am, RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS, Pay 36% ($2,500) more for being Canadian

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can-Am, RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS, Pay 36% ($2,500) more for being Canadian

I tried the number you posted for information on warranty transferablility and the number doesn't seem to work. We get ripped off the same way with just about anything up here. I guess there is some truth to the lower volumes requiring higher margins, but when you're preordering rather than buying out of a showroom, they should match any other dealers prices. Anyway, I'm from Sudbury also and plan on buying two 800's (Wifey says she has to be able to keep up) but I'm sure going to look south of the border after reading your post. The msrp on the xl of almost 16k is ridiculous.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MadInventor
I tried the number you posted for information on warranty transferablility and the number doesn't seem to work. We get ripped off the same way with just about anything up here. I guess there is some truth to the lower volumes requiring higher margins, but when you're preordering rather than buying out of a showroom, they should match any other dealers prices. Anyway, I'm from Sudbury also and plan on buying two 800's (Wifey says she has to be able to keep up) but I'm sure going to look south of the border after reading your post. The msrp on the xl of almost 16k is ridiculous.
Well PIN me we may have a truck go down and pick the all up, I'm sure the more we buy the better the deal. Maybe if we drop 100k buying all these bike maybe then BRP will wake up.

Try the number again, its works for me and here's where I got the number: BRP Customers Services Numbers for Canada and the USA

Old 05-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let it rip - Buy them in the the US

I have had 4 different friends buy in the US in the last 2 years and all have saved over $2000.00 per bike.

This is on all types of machines Bomb, Honda, Polaris, Yamaha.

No one has had any trouble with warranty either. Worst case drive back to the US and get the work done that is needed.

Going threw the border with a new machine is really easy as well. (I have been on a few of these trips with these people). All you have to do is let the border know that you will be coming threw with the new machine (they require 72 hours notice- working days only). You will have to pay a $290 import fee and taxes for the place you live. We only paid 7% GST - Alberta.

The manufactures will wake up one day !!!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the repost on the numbers. Maybe Can Am disconnected it in response to calls asking WTF they are doing with Canadian prices. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I'll be giving them an earful later today. Think I'll see if any of the investigative shows are interested in exploring why the Canadian consumer gets it up the tail pipe so much. I've changed my icon for this forum to a new one I thought was more applicable.

I'd be interested in a group buy. The local dealer might even talk if we have a group of several of us ordering at the same time instead of trucking a pile ourselves from the states. I'm going to be in the U.S. on business in July. I'll hit a few dealers and see what kind of prices they will quote. Freight rates aren't all that high on crates that size anyway.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well after a lot of telephone calls I've confirmed that any Canadian resident buying a Can Am atv in the U.S. will not have their warranty honored. I asked her why the msrp is up to 2k diffrence between the two countries and was basically told because they can. Now conversely, if I was living in the U.S. and had a valid U.S. address when I purchased the bike and then moved to Canada I'd have my warranty. Anyone want to adopt me for a while? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Current msrp locally on an 800 xt max is 14,349.00 the dollar is running at .89999. Do the math and your american msrp would be 12914.00. I really don't care about taxes, that's the reality of living here but the difference in the msrp is downright unfair.

Considering I'm planning on buying two of them this year, and there's a 14% tax on the almost 4k difference in the price, I'd be saving well over 4k buying in the U.S.. The question is how many warranty problems are these things having and should I gamble that i won't have 4k worth of trouble in the next 3 years? Decisions decisions....

Old 07-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

You could have someone in the states buy them for you and sell them to you as used, do you know if the warranty follows the machines or the owner? and if they follow th owner can they transfer the warranty for a fee. Just a thought if you have family of friends that live in the US.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

$16,000 for a XT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could get the 6" lift & rims/rubber for my truck that i always wanted. Thats just 1/2 the price. I was on trader.ca today and it showed a new 800outtie for $11,500.(not XT) Effective July1st Alberta residence are only payin 6%GST.(7% before) That helps out the price a little.

Someone plz email this thread to BRP/cam-am so they can look at what they're doin and maybe revise their wrong doings?

Old 07-05-2006, 03:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

There's a show called underdog at CBC I sent the information to. We'll see how Bombardier likes answering about their discriminatory pricing on a national talk show. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I sent my local dealer an email letting him know I was planning on taking my business south. He of course referred to the warrantee and I told him for 2k per quad difference (And I'm buying 2) screw the warrantee. So now he tells me that the m.s.r.p. listed on U.S. web sites is for 2006 models and only that low because Bombardier has a rebate on those models. I'm going to the states in the next few weeks and I will try and get some numbers for 2007 models. Would any of you in the U.S. be able to confirm an m.s.r.p. on a 2007 800 outlander max xt or 800 max for me? Bottom line, for anything more than a 500.00 pre tax difference I'm buying south of the border. If the machines require more than 4k of warrantee maintenance in the first three years I wouldn't want them.

Oh and I also sent a little blurb on the price gouging to Marketplace. It's a national show that takes on big companies hosing the little guy in the media. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Hopefully they will take all of the companies doing this to task.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

The Can-am website has 2007 prices on it. They are something like $150-300 more than the 2006 models. Last time I checked there were not any rebate promotions on 800s but there was a extended warranty offer and I think maybe a finace offer as well. Here is a link to the US Can-am site. The prices listed are 2007 prices. The standard 800 is now $8749.00 up from $8599.00 list on the 2006 model.

Quick Reply: Can-Am, RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS, Pay 36% ($2,500) more for being Canadian