CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can-Am, RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS, Pay 36% ($2,500) more for being Canadian

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can-Am, RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS, Pay 36% ($2,500) more for being Canadian

Originally posted by: alltoos
Can am is not only ripping you off with the Canadian exchange rate. They are ripping you off with the price of them.
The Can-Am is cheaper than the equivalent Honda (who also charge an extra $1200 for their three year warranty) but nobody knocks Honda's price.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

The word spreads like a deadly disease... and if a guy actually looks into it, the prices between brands arent that different after all

Old 03-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I think I already posted this but I tried buying two CAnAM 800's in michigan last year and the dealer wouldn't sell them to me once he saw my Canadian Drivers licence. He showed me the paperwork from CanAm for all of his quads that flatly stated they were not for sale to non U.S. residents and told me that he would lose his dealership if he did sell to non U.S. residents.

Out of sheer spite I went and bought two 800 Polaris Sportsmen. They cost me almost 4k less, and after having them a while I'm glad I didn't buy CanAm. All the bs videos in the world won't convince me limited slip will out perform all wheel drive, and it has been my experience from last years riding with quads from all manufacturers that my Sportmen will go anywhere any other stock brand will go, and sometimes even a little further. Yes, the bomb is a little quicker, but that is easily fixed by re-chiping.

Ford, GM, Dodge, Can Am, Polaris, Honda, etc.. They all make good product, and the odd lemon heheh. Buy whatever gets you the best bang for your buck, and let the market sort the rest out. Personally until CanAm CDN prices fall to U.S. equivalent I will never buy one of their quads in Canada or the U.S..

Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

Hey folks, it's even worse with Arctic Cat. I bought a little AC DVX50 for my daughter from Bass Pro here in Toronto for about $2700 CDN, and then found out Bass Pro in New York (1.5 hrs South) sells it for the equivalent of about $700 less! So I talked to the Bass Pro Manager and he said Arctic Cat forces them to charge these ridiculous prices, and will not honour the warranty if a Canadian buys an American AC. And I have seen this silly ripoff on may products, not just ATV's.

The problem is that the Canadian Dollar went up in ther last 2 or 3 years (WAY up), but the retailers are taking their own sweet time lowering their prices of US goods, and consequently reaping HUGE profits because we consumers are too DUMB to realize the prices of US goods should come down as the Canadian dollar goes up (relative to the US Greenback). Duhh!!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

The reason why the canadians pay more is because it costs more to ship from mexico to canada than it does to ship from mexico to the United States

Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

There's no way that it costs $700 more to ship a little 250 lb. kids ATV an extra hour (plus border crossing time) to Toronto versus, say Buffalo N.Y.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: check
There's no way that it costs $700 more to ship a little 250 lb. kids ATV an extra hour (plus border crossing time) to Toronto versus, say Buffalo N.Y.
Its a joke. I was playing on the fact that can-am is made in mexico (bad, bad, bad)

Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 PM

Duh! Got me there! Oh, well at least the Mexicans don't call us Gringos, eh?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: check
Duh! Got me there! Oh, well at least the Mexicans don't call us Gringos, eh?
LOL

Old 03-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

ya its not just can-am though. I paid $9000 for my dvx. my dad bought a outlander400 that was over 11grand. I can see the canadian dollar being worth MORE then the us dollar by the end of this year if the war continues. THEN they will still likely only slightly lower the price.

Quick Reply: Can-Am, RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS, Pay 36% ($2,500) more for being Canadian