CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

LTE duel exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTE duel exhaust

Back when I was first applying OMR's stock carb mods I had numerous questions and OMR actually wanted me to install a blade or divider type strip in the snorkel to straighten out the turbulence and report back the results. I never got around to it after my job loss so I can't say for sure, but would the lack of or a shorter snorkel not reduce the time and distance that the air has to gain turbulence???
Don't rake me over the coals here Ron, just my theory.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Range Rover
Default LTE duel exhaust

Originally posted by: DSNUT
Simply this, I have seen the results of dyno tests on several different setups with a single carb comparing a direct mount to snorkle mount filter. You need the snorkle to straighten the air out before it enters the carb. That reduces turbulence which improves intake velocity.I will grant you that there are a few cases of picking up a couple of peak horsepower with a direct mount but the cost to the midrange was too high to be worth it. In the case of the LTE, options are limited but i would suggest that the use of at least some snorkle length......whatever you can get, would be smart.The only reason I asked you about your testing was you came to the opposite conclusion I have. I just wanted to know how you got there. I am always interested when i stand to learn something[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][/quote]

As you have already figured out I am in no way considered a mechanic or a tuner. In fact the DS carb was the first carb I ever had the pleasure of 'messing' with. All I know is that with a RWR exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, and a K&N carb mount filter I had no problems. I never lost any midrange at all. I guess I just got lucky...you know, beginners luck!! I wish I had solid numbers to give, but I don't. I was just trying to tell the guy that it might still be possible to have a good setup with the stock carb and the carb mount filter...that's all.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Range Rover
Default LTE duel exhaust

Originally posted by: DS650powe
flux, that sounds like a good deal, i paid 5800 for my baja in 2004, i've never been to clam lake or dead horse, we've been to the pit twice, first time we were there sombody called the cops on us. i would go there more often because i enjoy doing the big hill climbs and such, but my friends would rather trail ride. and gas is so expensive half a tank there and back. rock dam has nice trails, you can really move on them, we usually run from rock dam to fair child, and take a different route back, its a good 2 hour ride, sometimes we run down to neilsville, but theres long sections of roads which makes it not very fun. you could spend all day riding loops around rockdam
is gilman tractor in thorp a good dealer??? the ds thay have is a 06 , but when i got there and seen it i had to ask if
it was new>>>> it looked used...

Old 05-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default LTE duel exhaust

Originally posted by: aceisback
Back when I was first applying OMR's stock carb mods I had numerous questions and OMR actually wanted me to install a blade or divider type strip in the snorkel to straighten out the turbulence and report back the results. I never got around to it after my job loss so I can't say for sure, but would the lack of or a shorter snorkel not reduce the time and distance that the air has to gain turbulence???
Don't rake me over the coals here Ron, just my theory.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Why would I rake you over the coals? Remember the origination of the vacuum. It is the piston drawing down to BDC sucking air from the filter into the cylinder. I think the air gets organized in the snorkle (if I can say that). It is like people getting in a line before they all go through the emergency exits. lol

Picture the air coming in from all directions into the carb mount filter still going from side to side after it goes through the carb. Now visualize the air all funneling in a common direction well before it goes through the carb.

The only way I could see increased turbulance because of a longer snorkle is if air were to be pushed through the filter from the outside and down the snorkle at the velocity that a normally aspirated motor moves air. Since air sucks from the cylinder and is pulled through the snorkle, I don't see that happening. That is MHO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

(maybe visualize the difference between pushing a string through a drinking straw vs pulling the string through..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])