CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

He shoots, he scores! Now he needs Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default He shoots, he scores! Now he needs Help!!!

Well those of you aware of my plight know that it is now over.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I had to sell two of my three DS's, only keeping my retirement present.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Today I picked up a bone stock 03 with what the owner said was 10 hours on it. I'm seriously doubting that it even has 5 hours on it. Dealer holdover purchased a few months ago. Spine surgery followed by loss of leg mobility forced the gentleman to sell her.
Here's what I need, I'm budget concious (wife calls it tight a$$) and am looking for all input on which direction to go. This will be primarily a dune machine with limited open desert and trail riding.
I've had a Yoshi RS3 and Big Gun race series. Like the looks and supposed gains of the LTE but it's pricey. Most folks seem happy with the HPR end cap and it's in my budget.
Will be getting a ported intake but what about cams? Not looking to do alot of internal mods, yet, just simple bolt on stuff.
I'll be losing the airbox and snorkels and modifying the headlight to the newer configuration tomorrow, gotta shave weight. Have a new dash with tach and brighter indicators ready to install.
I'm not a drag racer, just love cruising the dunes and the occasional race up the hill, but nothing serious.
I'll evaluate all input and I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions. Like which CDI other than the Vortex cause it's way expensive.
Have 22" rears and 23" fronts on the way along with a 15t front sprocket.

C'mon guys, let me have it. Build my bike for me. Thanks in advance. Dumont and Glamis watch out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I'm a bit confused to the headlight upgrade. I thought that the 03 Baja had the outer headlight ring in orange...the one and only orange headlight ringed Baja DS. I know you didnt mention its a baja, but if its a 03 shouldnt it have the newer headlight? Or was the a half year thing?

The endcap would be fine where you ride and keeps you in the green for other mods. Getting rid of the snorkel and air box? Desert riding without an air box...no no no. These things can suck a golfball through a garden hose.....not to mention your sons roost out in fron tof you![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Vortex....buy one, and keep it for every DS you own, anotherwords....dont let it go if you sell your bike. Maybe that will justify the money spent.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Based on my experience here is what i would do.Lectron 46 HV /ported intake/ODP disced end cap .Before my internal mods i had just the 46HV and ported intake and the gains were very good with just a modified stock end cap.The HPR billet end cap flows very good and has great top end but if you have to be concerned about decibel levels then it is too loud(102 at idle) and california seems to be enforcing sound laws more all the time.My CDI is a Big Gun and it works well for me but the Vortex has a lot of options so it may be a good way to go.If you plan on doing most of your riding in the sand then proper tire choice can be huge for performance in a good way or a bad way.You may already know all of above but i thought i would throw my opinion out since it is based on my recent experience.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ok Ace here's my take looking back over all of the things I've bought/sold/tried,
On a budget I would go with:

Big Gun CDI
End cap
Ported intake
Someone always has a TM45 extra in their garage or grab one off e-bay, even new from on-dunes they are much cheaper than a Lectron and I can give you the jetting set-up for Dumont.

That should get you going under budget and ready to start looking for cams/piston
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I've had a few offers for used Lectron 46's but no TM45's, wow, those things are pricey even used![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But it seems everyone has the ported intake to match.
I've been studying up on the Top Gun in comparison to the Billet end cap and the ODP power tip.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Choices, choices!?! I can see that there is no use in even trying to set a budget, one thing leads to another.
From some PM's that I've gotten I may be leaning towards a Vortex, I just wish I could win the lottery and be done with trying to space these payments out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

So nobody else has any opinions on what to get and where to get it?

Darin, not sure about the 03 Baja light (mine is the Viper), but I know all 04 and newer models have the lighter, brighter set up with the trim.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

aceisback.Yeah i had a budget too and at the time i set it i actually thought i would stick to it.Wrong.I guess that you could say that i am beating a dead horse as they say but,Lectron.Lectron,Lectron.You will thank me later.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

talk to THEBOM Jeff Ross. He can set you up for what ever you want.

thebomracing.com

Old 05-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Dude, Ace... don't forget about the HMF... great power and looks for about $230 shipped... HPR used to say it was the only slip on they recomended. For a budget look at the tm45... I saw them for around $225 used. I say don't settle for anything less than a Vortex, and you are set. My .02

Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Ace, got a RWR 11.5:1 with a new set of rings if you want it. We'll work it out if you need it. I'm in Vegas (as you already know). If you need a mechanic just drop me a line.

Bigdaddy Out!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Vic,

Get the same stuff I did - I have zero regrets and while I think the other parts are good, I still think the stuff I bought is the BEST available.

That is my $0.025559