CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can someone help me understand the vortex cdi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone help me understand the vortex cdi?

i know its great and reliable, i want to get a new cdi and this seems to be the one...

i just dont understand the curves and how they work...i did a search and saw the different programs some guys have...but i dont see the need for all those and what diffence is..

i ride 95% trails and rr beds, and the occasional drag race will come up

Old 06-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Most guys that get them simply settle on two of the ten curves. One of them will be hardwired into the forward position of the handlebar switch, and the other will be whatever you choose. For instance, many people like one of the torque curves. So, then you have trail and speed at your fingertips. However, lets say that you are doing some engine work, and would like to have the stock curve, then you can select that. Or if you want to keep the rev limit down, then you can choose that one. But, most of the time, you'll simply choose a torque curve and have that one in the back position of the handlebar switch.

Remember, there are advanced timing curves, torque curves and stock curves, with different rev limits on each.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

I got mine reprogramed with Ron Wood curves with rev limits. Seems to work real good.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like tis over my head...can i give you a day in my life of riding...maybe its to much for me

i ride with all 4x4 and 2-3 2wd including myself...ride 98% trails and mud, then quarries and sand pits 2%...we will race a few runs if we find a spot for fun..(i get beat by the yfz almost everytime)

i llove performance and mods but dont want to waist money on sometihng over my head...how would i use the vortex in my riding?

and what are the ronwoods curves?

Old 06-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

IMHO, Until you have gotten into the motor ie cams, porting piston ect. Theres really not much of a gain to be had by going to the vortex. If I remember right the stock motor falls off around 7200 rpm anyway. Over rev can be nice on the steep stuff but for the kind of riding you do I could think of alot of other avenues to take for more power. 400 bucks gos a long ways towards carb and intake porting, chain conversion, better exhaust the list goes on and on. Dont get me wrong I have one and I love it. Its really not that difficult to operate but until you have the mods to make it worth it, I would go another route.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

I am always bouncing off the rev limiter, even in the type of riding i do...if i grab a spot for goood throttle..i punch it and go...hits the limiter

when i race i hit it in 2nd and 3rd....so if i am hitting the rev then i am over the point of maximum power...should i be shifting sooner? i have an 04 x so i think the rev limit is 7900 if i remember right

i just feel like it is still pulling

Old 06-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes the time lost shifting is best left to over rev. So I would still look into a rev box. I think for the most part he was talking about the different curves. You really wont notice them much until you do more mods. I dont ever use mine, even with mods. I am however having a stock curve with a high rev limit put in it for nitrous. Other than that, I dont ever switch.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, thats how i feel..i sometimes need the extra pow, rather than shift and drop the rpm's

i guess what i am asking is do i need the 10 curve fancy vortex for my trail riding..even though i know its the best or should i just get one that will raise my limit up and skip the optional curves..

Old 06-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a matter of opinion there my man. I hate buying something, then find out I should have bought something else. So I usually wait until I can by the better one. I run two vortex's. I like the option on my bike. But it is not needed on my wifes, at all. But I bought the machine with it on it, so it stays. If I was to have to buy one, I would buy the Big Gun. We put one on my brothers machine, and its still runs good after a year of use. He is looking for a vortex soon. Mainly for the nitrous deal. You can pick them up for like 125 or so, so its alot cheaper. It is a procomm box, and you have heard the bad press about them, so take it for what it is. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

this sucks....since i have no clue about my needs, i am basically guessing

they are a procomm box but made with different..hear they goood

do you know what they raise the limit to

Quick Reply: can someone help me understand the vortex cdi?