CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Another fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another fuel question

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Keith,

Im gonna go back to my old rule of thumb, always run at least (especially at sea level) what the piston manufacturer recomends. And if you are running nitrous, run at least 3 or 4 octane points higher - that's what the BD training manual says. I hope you dont mind, but I'm not going to be the one to go out on a limb here and tell you what you need to run - because, there are places I dont want to go with the BD system! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Marky
LOL! I figured you would say that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Anyone else want to out on a limb?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

I run c-16 exclusively and have never been able to make any motor detonate . it does have some problems though. it eats rubber parts like orings in fuel pumps and in regulators and it doesnt like light and loses its octane real fast if you put it in a plastic can and light gets to it. it doesnt like cold either. if you set a can on the cold sand it will draw condensation inside. also its extremely bad for you. if you get c-16 on your hands it disappears in about 5 seconds and its high lead content gets absorbed into your system. bad stuff really but you wont detonate on it.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

from vp's web site
C16
Used in turbocharged engines, blown engines and nitrous applications with CRs up to 17:1. Recommended by the top nitrous oxide companies. Spec Fuel for NHRA Comp Eliminator.

• Color: Blue
• Motor Octane: 117
• Specific gravity: .735 at 60° F

Old 06-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, since we dont know the specifics of the 110 Keith was running, I will assume that it has a mon of 110. If that is the case, then that is easier to figure out, and throws my whole original theory out the door.

I agree with Marky, c12 is good stuff, and it does have something in it to keep it cooler. Then c14, and c16 like supersonic mentioned. If c12 dont do it for you, try the c14. That stuff has a real slow burn rate, so it might loose some power on all motor.

I am not be no means a fuel guru. Just puting into a subject that I would like to know more about as well.

I am a cheap bastage as most know, and run as cheap of fuel as I think I can get away with. So take my advice with caution,lol.
Oh Keith, she'll be fine really, I got this stuff in bfe that I think they said was atleast 2 years old. But that old gal did say she thought it was 110 octane, er propane, er diesel, er....well she wasnt too sure, but they still ran it in there toro's, so it should be fine.....really.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Ya, since we dont know the specifics of the 110 Keith was running, I will assume that it has a mon of 110. If that is the case, then that is easier to figure out, and throws my whole original theory out the door.

I agree with Marky, c12 is good stuff, and it does have something in it to keep it cooler. Then c14, and c16 like supersonic mentioned. If c12 dont do it for you, try the c14. That stuff has a real slow burn rate, so it might loose some power on all motor.

I am not be no means a fuel guru. Just puting into a subject that I would like to know more about as well.

I am a cheap bastage as most know, and run as cheap of fuel as I think I can get away with. So take my advice with caution,lol.
Oh Keith, she'll be fine really, I got this stuff in bfe that I think they said was atleast 2 years old. But that old gal did say she thought it was 110 octane, er propane, er diesel, er....well she wasnt too sure, but they still ran it in there toro's, so it should be fine.....really.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Roflmfao! But whats that stuff floating on the top jed?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh that.....thats nothing. It's like the film that forms on the top of syrup if you leave it out. Just peel it off and your good to go............no really...........................I swear,lol.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I thought I would list the fuels from VP ....

VP-110

Not your "Standard" 110! Highest rated MON aof any 110 fuel on the market. Forumulated for use in naturally aspirated engines with CRs up to 14:1. Works will in 2 Strokes. Good lower cost alternative.

Color: Purple
Motor Octane: 107
R+M/2: 110
Specific Gravity: .720-.735 at 60 degrees

----------------------------

C-12

The best all around racing fuel made. Recommened for CRs below 15:1, satisfying the needs of 75% of todays race engines. One of the winningest fuels in racing history, including Modified Trour, GNN, D.I.R.T., Indy Lights, NHRA, AMA as well as other local and national championships across the US and around the world.

Color: Green
Motor Octane: 108
Specific Gravity: .717 at 60 degrees

C14

Recommended for naturally aspirated engines operating at over 8000 rpms with CRs of 14:1 and over in drag race cars, 4-stroke drag race motorcycles, snowmobiles and PWCs (230PSI or higher). Spec fuel for NHRA Comp Eliminator.

Color: Yellow
Motor Octane: 114
Specific Gravity: .696 at 60 degrees

C15

Used in large (500 CI or greater) normally aspirated engines with Ultra high CRs of 14:1 or greater. Can also be used in smaller nitorus systems. Very consistant fuel - Excellent for bracket racing.

Color: Green
Motor Octane: 115
Specific Gravity: .713 at 60 degrees

Old 06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok, you got me looking at fuels now. What is the difference between research octane, and motor octane??

Old 06-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1BigDSRider
Ok, you got me looking at fuels now. What is the difference between research octane, and motor octane??

From VP:

"OCTANE: This does nothing more than rate a fuel's ability to resist detonation and /or preignition. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers (RON), Motor Octane Numbers (MON) and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). A Pump Octane number is the number you see on the yellow decal at gas stations, representing the average of the fuels ROM and MON. VP relies on MON because the MON test more accurately simulates racing conditions. Don’t be fooled by high RON or R+2M/2 numbers. Many companies use these simply because they look higher and are easier to come by due to the testing method. Also, be aware that the ability of fuel to resist preignition is more than just a function of octane."

I couldnt have said it better myself! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks ODP.

Quick Reply: Another fuel question