CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

12:1 JE piston install from HPR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12:1 JE piston install from HPR!!!

took bike out on first ride noticed oil leaking out of crankcase vent hose through the k&n on top of vent hose was soaked so i killed the bike. i have the vent hose coming around left side of motor it was full of oil. before warm up bike registered perfect on stick, once i killed the bike no register on the dipstick. took the bike back to the shop today. they told me not to worry about it, they will make everything right. they started the bike when i dropped it off, then rode it around back. so bike has compression, plugs looked great. any ideaswhy oil in vent hose????

Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like you have a little bit of blow-by to me, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Keep us informed on their findings. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Im sure they will get it figured out for ya and you will be back up and going before ya know it, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

hey choose that would be do to rings???

Old 07-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cloftis
hey choose that would be do to rings???

It could be a number of things...but yes, rings are one of those factors. Building excess crankcase pressure is usually the culprit. Just a thought to consider, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

How would one elimanate that pressure??

Old 07-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can also do that a number of ways. Cams, Valves, etc....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Let us know what they find out and maybe all of us can learn a thing or two by your experience. I will be the first to tell you that Im no engine builder, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

How much oil is comming out? A few Ounces? If its just dripping out a few dropps its probly because The rings havnt heated up enough to seat and its letting a little oil by. This happens to me when I run too cold on alky (or for the first break in on rings). Ive seen a cup of oil poor out of the crankcase. I then would switch back to gas and it would clean itself up. If its not a massive amount then your ok.

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

I am guessing he did not up the octane of the fuel that was in the bike{93}. he told me clearly he had fuel dont worry when bike was dropped off. went to the dr10 plugs randall sent. i am guessing he never allowed the rings to SEAT as hightower would agree!!!lol proir thread! he said during jetting, after install, bike was initally rich, so he adjusted meter. sounds like maybe predetanation, when i took bike home i imeadiatally drained fuel and replaced with 100 avgas, also alittle 104 booster. so when i rode bike thats what it was on.could the change in fuels be a factor? when i noticed the oil and stopped the bike there was probably 2oz in a trail. plus how much it takes to fill the k&n crankcase vent hose filter!! pulled both plugs once they cooled down for plug check. they were perfect!!! all i wanted to do was fill the power!!! he said he wil make it right!!! better start looking for ext swing arm!!lala

Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

First off, I think that your 100 octane will be fine. I don't like AV Gass, but if that's what you got.... get-er-done.

Doesn't sound like rings to me (worn rings that is) in that I don't get any of that on my new motors and the rings would be just as new as yours. They are new rings right?

Let's attack this if it were me. First thing I would do is rip off the head and cylinder and inspect the rings. Then, I'd fit each ring into the cylinder and get some data. If everthing checked out right, I'd then look to the side of the case where the hose comes from and open it up. Could it be ring wash? Possible, but plugs normally wouldn't look that good. I would really look at a folded wipe ring, an overlapped oil ring etc. etc. If that isn't it, see if the case has some issues. You speak of a shop.... what shop and do they work with HPR? Give us a few more details.

Good luck!

Like choose says

Old 07-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cloftis, I think Bigdaddy331 layed the ground work, now get after it and let us know what you find. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 12:1 JE piston install from HPR!!!