CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

One beat BOMB

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One beat BOMB

I just purchased a 2000 ds 650 and i love it for all i care all the quadracers in the world can be melted down into hyundais. I paid 550 for my quad in a non running/moving condition i got it together in about an hour i have just a few problmes with it one of them being the headpipes glowing when riding ata consistent speed my jetting is fine. My other problme is it dosnt start cold i was told the air fuel screw passage is clogged any insight?

Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One beat BOMB

Originally posted by: tom18801
I just purchased a 2000 ds 650 and i love it for all i care all the quadracers in the world can be melted down into hyundais. I paid 550 for my quad in a non running/moving condition i got it together in about an hour i have just a few problmes with it one of them being the headpipes glowing when riding ata consistent speed my jetting is fine. My other problme is it dosnt start cold i was told the air fuel screw passage is clogged any insight?
I would put money on the starting problem being the valves out of adjustment. 99.9% of the hard cold starts I have heard of is the valves. Get them adjusted and you will be fine.

The glowing pipes could be any number of things. First I would look at your jetting, if you say it is right on and you know that for sure I would look at the cams being out of time. If it is running OK then you may be getting unburned fuel into your exhaust and it is burning there causeing you pipes to glow. Maybe the exhaust cam is a tooth off. When you do you valves check the timing. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One beat BOMB

Thanks for the reply and im planning on adjusting my valves today since its raining and i cant work do you think that the valves being out of adjustment could cause the pipes to glow

Old 07-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default One beat BOMB

Originally posted by: tom18801
Thanks for the reply and im planning on adjusting my valves today since its raining and i cant work do you think that the valves being out of adjustment could cause the pipes to glow
I think normally on the DS the intake side will get tight on the valves. If yours is similar to mine, and those I have read about here, you will find the same. I don't think that would have much to do with your glowing head pipes though. I really think its jetting unless your exhaust cam jumped a tooth or is was not timed correctly at some point. When you do your valve adjustment make sure you are locked at TDC and then then make sure the cam lobes are facing away from each other... I straight edge across should line up with the marks on the cam gears. I'm still leaning towards jetting though... what are your mods and jet sizes? How do your plugs look?

Old 07-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default One beat BOMB

someone not too long ago had a post "pipes glowing red" and I thought it was the fan or maybe even the thermostat which could be the prob in your case also but he just replaced the thermostat but he didn't tell us if the fan was working or not what I told him was to mount a switch so you can physically turn it on by urself because the early models had problems cooling. But what one of the other guys not sure who it was said something close to fatholly and that too much fuel was getting through and was igniting in the exhaust itself it could be what fatholly said or even the jetting that could be causing this.
Brett

Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default One beat BOMB

If it was the thermostat or the fan then the coolant would boil over. Glowing head pipes means really lean (enough to do serious damage to the engine and cause very poor performance) or unburned fuel making it out of the cylinder and into the pipes where it then burns, causing the pipes to glow.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default One beat BOMB

thanks fatholly