CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Fraud warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fraud warning

Hello all - I recently tried to post a message here about selling my DS650, and was directed to place an ad on classifieds.atvconnection.com
I did just that, and got a response today, which I believe is fruad.
The email is in broken english, and apparently from a French man who wants the quad, and will pay me asking price plus $50 to take the ad down so no one else buys it. He has a "client" who owes him money, and this client will send me a money order for my asking price plus $200. I am supposed to take that to the bank and cash it, keeping the $50 and also another $100 for all the running around I would be doing. I am then to wire the remainder of the money to his shipper via western union, and they will come get the quad about 48 hours later.
Smell a little fishy to you guys? I've talked with a Lawyer and they said these things are going around. They make fake money orders, which apparently look very authentic because many banks have cashed them. They discover the fruad and then come after you. I'm not sure how the thieves make off with money on the deal, but maybe they are just after your information. Just wanted to give a heads up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fraud warning

Well he will make out with any money you wire him..... plus your are the one passing the phony check or whatever[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2006, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fraud warning

yea I had something similar happen to me I had my suzuki Ozark on monkeyads.com which is similar to ebay and some guy from the UK said he would like to but my quad and he would have to talk to his business so he could write it off and wanted to pick up the quad immediately this also sounded a little fishy to me so I told him i already sold it. Thanks for the heads up.
Brett

Old 07-15-2006, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fraud warning

Typically they will send you a cashiers check for well over the agreed upon price, sometimes twice as much.....the buyer then says his "agent" made a mistake and for you to cash the check and wire transfer(ALWAYS be leary of this)the difference immediately...