CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anything NEW in the EFI area ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything NEW in the EFI area ??????

I need to upgrade my intake system to go along with my piston and camshaft combo. I was just wondering if their was anything new out there for the DS.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

WOW !!!!! Nothing new? I guess I'll just stick with a carb then.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider

KMS Performance has EFI for the DS.

Once you go EFI, you won't miss the carb.....

Old 07-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think he was interested in what the latest technology of the EFI system was. (At least this is how I read his post.) Last I heard (a long while ago) they were on a Generation 4 EFI system, are they on like G5 or 6 by now or is G4 good to go still?

Any change in cost or how it works or the setup etc? How about a methanol rated fuel pump, I know a couple of years ago Stephanie was looking for one but hadn't found one at the time; I'd love to hear they found a good one and that the EFI is just as sweet as can be. (I'm not buying this year though.)

The other answer is that if no one has any new info, KMS has a phone number, web site and email address where they can be tossed questions directly.

http://www.kmsperformance.com/contactus.htm

Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry guys, I guess I coould have put some more information out there.

Yes, I was interested in updates and the such on the KMS. If more people are using it how is it working. For the people that have had it for a while, how is it holding up, any complaints, etc.

Also, is there anything new out there besides KMS ?

Thanks for any info.

David

Old 07-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only thing I know is that a friend of mine who has it uses unleaded race gas because the leaded race gas screws up the O2 sensors in short order. As I recall they are not an expensive part, but annoying to change all the time so the unleaded race gas helps with that - I don't know how long the O2 sensor lasts on unleaded gas either - I don't think Sandaholic has very many hours on his DS since changing to the unleaded race gas. (He's been really busy with life, cuz if he had time he would have been to Pismo a few times already this summer!)

I know that the later generations of the EFI use a wide band O2 sensor and system so the EFI is really 'plug and play' where it compensates for everything on the spot.

Keep in mind though all of my info is old, so there have likely been changes and update and upgrades to make the system even better. I've met Kelly and his wife Stephanie and they are really good people so buying from them is a very safe place to put your money.

I have yet to hear of any other companies offering EFI systems, or turbos. I've heard of one-off systems but that is useless for most of us.

How is life down there in HB? I used to live in HB until I was 11 years old, right off of Magnolia and Adams.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

Life is good in the HB, albeit a little hot right now.

Thanks for the info, I'll call KMS and see what's up.

David

Old 07-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I recently upgraded to the KMS EFI, the only thing that i havent done to it yet is get it hooked to my laptop to map it. But just hookin it up and going is all i've done, its a self learning system, where you start it and the computer runs the air/fuel ratio to the best combo for ur altitude/temp/etc. I think i read that when the engine hits 300 degrees it sends the info to the comp and jets accordingly for you, so thats why i've gotten away with not mapping it. I didnt hear of sensors going bad, and i've had alotta hours put on so far w/ no problems, i love this thing! Its so nice to never have to touch a jet again!!!
The only concerns i have thus far is a slight lag, not very often at all, in the bottom end of 1st gear, but i'll rev it out and after a few seconds it'll be gone, computer must be reading and fixing the prob. But i think the mapping will fix that. Also when you first turn the key on it turns the computer on, so u hear a buzzing sound, every now and then i can hear the buzzing sound change, like an unhealthy change, but that is rare also, i'll stop for a break of ridin and when i go back to turn 'er on, the buzz is normal sounding, i dunno what it is, i haveta go back and talk to my mech that installed it when i get 'er mapped and ask questions. Will have more info as i go thro more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

IVE STARTED PLAYNIG WITH MY FI AGAIN. I NEED TO CALL KELLY BECAUSE MY REQUIRED FUEL COUNT IS OVER 10 AND I WAS TOLD IT SHOULDNT BE. ANYONE ELSE GET IN TO TUNNING THEIR EFI?

Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NickDS650
I recently upgraded to the KMS EFI, the only thing that i havent done to it yet is get it hooked to my laptop to map it. But just hookin it up and going is all i've done, its a self learning system, where you start it and the computer runs the air/fuel ratio to the best combo for ur altitude/temp/etc. I think i read that when the engine hits 300 degrees it sends the info to the comp and jets accordingly for you, so thats why i've gotten away with not mapping it. I didnt hear of sensors going bad, and i've had alotta hours put on so far w/ no problems, i love this thing! Its so nice to never have to touch a jet again!!!
The only concerns i have thus far is a slight lag, not very often at all, in the bottom end of 1st gear, but i'll rev it out and after a few seconds it'll be gone, computer must be reading and fixing the prob. But i think the mapping will fix that. Also when you first turn the key on it turns the computer on, so u hear a buzzing sound, every now and then i can hear the buzzing sound change, like an unhealthy change, but that is rare also, i'll stop for a break of ridin and when i go back to turn 'er on, the buzz is normal sounding, i dunno what it is, i haveta go back and talk to my mech that installed it when i get 'er mapped and ask questions. Will have more info as i go thro more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I think that buzzing is your fuel pump.

If you are running race gas (leaded) I'ld suggest you purchase an extra O2 sensor. Keep it with you. I saw Sandaholic's go on him while he was duning. I'm sure they may last a while for some but, I'ld like to have one with me to change-out if needed.

Quick Reply: Anything NEW in the EFI area ??????