CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

lets say i want a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets say i want a turbo

safe to buy used or not?

who has a pic of one installed?

Old 08-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

http://kmsperformance.com/photogallery.htm

Yes the turbo is fuel injected for the ds650 and come with all the hardware if you can find a turbo that is in good condition and you can get it at a price I don't see anything wrong with it just make sure you get all the hardware here is the stuff that normally comes with the kms turbo
K&N Air Filter, Garrett Turbo Charger, Intercooler, Intake System, Exhaust header, Exhaust head pipe, Electronic Fuel Injection, Throttle body, Blow off valve, Waste Gate, Electrical harness, Clutch springs, hardware, gaskets, connectors, clamps and brackets. Detailed Instructions and KMS decals.
There are 2 seperate turbos that kms sells one for methanol and one for gas

http://www.kmsperformance.com/DS1000.htm
here si a vid of a turbo ds650 with 800cc also
http://www.tvipowerandsports.com/dsworks.htm

Old 08-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

I've had the turbo for over 2 years bolted on the stock bike. Just need to change the oil often. I run it at the lowest boost, 5lbs, and still get great performance for trail/dune riding. If you don't boost the turbo to high, you don't lose much of the stock dependability. I run AVGAS as it stores a lot longer and has more consistent specific gravity. The turbo DOES add compression but if you stayed at low boost, you could probably run premium. I wouldn't though, as AVGAS is easy to get, 101LL. The LL will burn out the O2 sensor, but I had Kelly program a defualt setting for where I ride the most, the dunes. Haven't had a problem now. The turbo system has been out long enough for him to work out the problems. IT IS WELL WORTH IT!!!

As for the 'lag' issue, I guess that guy has never ridden a DS650 with the EFI Turbo kit by KMS. There is no appreciable lag as the turbo is mounted real close to the exhaust port. The boost comes on smoothely at about 2700 rpm. Like I said earlier, I ride mostly in 3rd gear from 15 mph to 55 mph when duning. I do upshift around the big bowls though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I put a picture of my quad on a new forum....Can Am talk

Can Am

Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming and have been told by some guys that there is some lag with these turbos as with most other vehicle turbos. I have seen some of the sport compact guys also go with a small nos shot to help prevent lag. If done right it would give you an amazingly flat and broad power curve. I know it's a little off topic but just a thought.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have noticed no lag. If there is a lag, then it is very short and smooth.

Kelly at KMS really researched his design and knows what he is doing.

I have not heard of ANYONE who has a KMS EFI Turbo system complain of lag. The only people who mention lag are those who haven't ridden a properly set up turbo quad.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: azsandrider
I have noticed no lag. If there is a lag, then it is very short and smooth.

Kelly at KMS really researched his design and knows what he is doing.

I have not heard of ANYONE who has a KMS EFI Turbo system complain of lag. The only people who mention lag are those who haven't ridden a properly set up turbo quad.
If there is no lag, then thats a good thing. variation on exhaust flow will provide somewhat variable power, depending on throttle position, which is also a very good thing when it comes to trail riding. Hey Im open minded - If Kelly can make a turbo for the trails - MORE POWER TO HIM! Awesome!