CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oregon ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oregon ?

One other thing to add about the +/- 3db margins on the Oregon Dunes; Although they were primarily created for errors in testing, they have been used as a way to raise the limit from 93db to 96db. And, its worked pretty well for those that need that extra margin. I know some folks that have been trained as official DB testers and they explained it to me that, the margin of error is used at the discretion of the tester. Now, I've never heard of a tester getting pissy about 95db. But, keep in mind, if you get pissy with them, I suppose they could get pissy back to you. Further, I dont know how a judge would react to a 95db ticket, he'd probably just throw it out.

As far as spark arrestors go, they usually check that when they got you for a sound check. Otherwise, spark arrestors on the oregon dunes are not the primary reason why they pull you over - it always seems to be sound or lack of a flag.

Smaller quad rarely get tickets - I was pulled over more than once with my DS. Fortunatly, I was always able to talk myself out of it. Its also good information to know one of these times was at Sand Lake back in 2003 when the DB restriction was not enforced. Apparently, the guy was in training and when his training was finished, he was going down to the Oregon Dunes.

The nice thing about the old Ron Wood Racing exhaust is that it had "ROTAX" on the side of it. To the unexperienced ranger, the rider could convince them that its what came with the quad by pointing out the "ROTAX" name on the side case of the engine as well. However, I doubt that trick will work anymore!

Ive never been pulled over with my 460EX. Even though its pretty loud, around 97db - 98db, having the LTE twins (even though mine are loud) on an EX platform seems to just say "Waste of time" to the rangers.

Marky