CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Using a radar gun as a tuning tool?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a radar gun as a tuning tool?

I bought a Bushnell Radar gun today that i plan to use for checking speeds up the hill at the dunes for monitoring changes and their effects on speed.I did a search expecting to find quite a bit of information on others doing this but no luck.Is it that no one else does this or did i not do a proper search?My plan is to get real numbers to use when i make changes to gearing ,tire pressure,fuel and possibly discs used on my end cap.I want to try and gain even one more quad length on the hill and if the small cost of this Radar gun can help me do that then it will be worthwhile but if i cant make any gains at least i will know how fast i am going.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duneit, alot of us do use them. But dont use someone elses mph on a different day as a base. Sand changes daily, and so do your speeds. But rather use it as a baseline, then adjust and clock it again. That will help you the most.

Keep in mind, like AZ said in another post, he has seen many bikes run a much higher speed on the hill, just to watch it loose to a slow mph bike.

It is a good tuning tool though.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

650VIPER what i am talking about doing is getting a speed reading on my DS up the hill with a certain set of tires or gearing and then changing to see what if any difference there is.I think it will help to have some real numbers to look at as opposed to my usual seat of the pants feel which can be way off.My stock bore is making some good strides towards being as good or better than some of the lighter or big bore bikes and this should help to get me even closer.Last trip out i switched from # 10 heat range plugs to #9 and installed a rear aluminum sprocket and those items made a difference for me so the tweaking will continue.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, thats the way to do it, thats for sure. It will work great for that.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

where did you bye the radar gun and how much? like this idea very much! damn good idea carlton

Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

cloftis i bought the (Bushnell speedster 2) at Radio shack on sale for 75.00 just today.I think this will really be a good way to make changes that actually do something.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

wow thats cheap, i figured 400.00 dollar range!!! let me know how consistant, once you try er out, will have to get one!! Semper Fi carlton

Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

cloftis 75.00 is very cheap and these are usually twice that which is still cheap but it seems to perform well.Today i had the wife go up and down the street in her car and i tracked her with the Bushnell and her speedometer reading was exactly the same as the Radar reading so at least initially it seems to be accurate.I will be taking the Radar gun to the dunes Sunday to see how it works and i will report back on that.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

please keep me posted motor will be dynoed tommorrow, but for changing sprockets, paddles etc etc great idea!! look forward to your post

Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Keep us posted on not only the outcome of the speeds you achieve, but also on the accuracy of the Bushnell radar. Im interested. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Using a radar gun as a tuning tool?