CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can-am800 vs sportsman800

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006 | 07:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default can-am800 vs sportsman800

I have seen the po-po 4wd shine in some instances and have seen it look downright scary. I love the fact that you can ride all day in 2wd and when you arrive at a snow drift, you just hammer the throttle and steer. The po-po has as good a chance getting through as any other machine. But on my outtie 800, I have to come to a stop, hoping I can get going again, to engage 4wd. Stopping is not always a priority when everyone behind you has shift on the fly and you know you are going to get harassed for slowing them down!! But I have witnessed the scary side of po-po. I had my Rincon and there was a grizzly 660, and a po-po500. We were in a power line climbing a fairly steep rocky trail, a lot of ledge. Tha po-po struggled getting over a lot of steep rocks, almost like steps that were 2 feet high. You had to approach slow or the front we go up on you and real 4wd was needed to climb over at a slow speed. The po-po needed to be winched up because the rears would not spin. It was rather embarassing for the poor guy. But even more the following two times it happened. I have also seen two flip over as a result of the 4wd. Going up a small embankment the bike got sideways then 4wd kicked in and sent the bike at a steeper part causing the bike to roll on the guy. He wished it would have weighed less as he got hurt. So I guess the best 4wd is the one that suits youre riding best.

Old 10-08-2006 | 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
Let's face it gtx, you are way better at pie-in-the-sky bs than you are at quad riding. No real quad guy would ride those little maytag washer engine quads that you haul around in your dinky trailer.

And then you show your dinky quad with dinky chains on the rear wheels and say ' I just cleared 10 inches of snow'. If that snow had even a 1/4" of water in it, you would have had to go get your shovel. You should use that shovel now for the bs that is piling up around your computer.

As has been said toward you many times on this thread, quad experience talks and your long winded left field bs walks.

It's obvious man, you are not a quad rider.
Now here is a useful post. This guy cannot discuss 4WD systems, so his only recourse is insults. Brilliant post bud. Shall I remind you that my dinky little quad has 0.2 inches more FRONT suspension travel than your supposedly high performance quad. Shall I remind you that my dinky little quad has 1.5 inches more REAR suspension travel than your supposedly high performance quad. Given that you are carting around 228 pounds more than my quad with less suspension travel, I would love to see you jump that supposedly high performance quad as high as I jump mine. What is even more amusing is that my STOCK rear tires are a full inch wider than your STOCK rear tires. Seems to me that you need 4WD just to cart all that excess weight around. Too bad you didn't have rear tires as wide as mine to help cart all that excess weight around.

Now as far as shoveling snow.. if you had any experience shoveling snow you would know that 2WD tractors have been shoveling snow since long before you were born with less HP than my dinky little quad.

Old 10-08-2006 | 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raidermike67
Come on raidermike67. At least look at this race with some degree of objectivity. What was the tongue weight on the BRP. It could be that it might have been 300 pounds for all you know. Depending on the type of surface they were racing on, that 300 pounds on the back of the BRP could be what won the race. Who the heck would believe that doubling the weight of a quad would make it faster than a similarly equipped quad? You been had by good marketing. Go back to filling sand bags.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>

You're talking in circles now. The POINT was that the Polaris weighs 150 lbs more, it seems as though the poster was trying to make it a "fair" race by pulling the trailer with the honda in the back against the Polaris, from what this poster says the 650 despite being a smaller engine with a larger load held it's own agains the Polaris 700..........is THAT too difficult to understand?
Are you really that naive to think that a 650 quad weighing a total of 1200 (quad+trailer) will actually beat a 700 anything that weighs 500 pounds less?? I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by suggesting the only way this could happen is if both quads were on a slippery surface like wet grass and the trailer added 300 pounds of tongue weight directly over the rear tires of the 650 to provide a significant traction advantage. If you don't understand this.. LMAO.

Old 10-08-2006 | 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, since you WON'T answer my question I'll assume you have ZERO experience on either of these machines. Anyone can regurgitate what they've read somewhere but there are people here who have owned both machines and have ridden both who have a bit of a different take then YOU do. Personally when in 4WD I can hardly tell a difference which is what I THINK BRP was going for with this design, if so then they hit the nail on the head.
Excellent point raidermike67. Share with us your experience of what happened when you added 150 pounds of weight to your quad to get it up to the weight of the Polaris. Then of course you put a throttle stop on your engine to reduce the HP to the Polaris. Then you went out on the test track and raced the Polaris with these changes. You have never done this, so you have absolutely no experience to share with us about how the BRP 4WD system compared to the Polaris 4WD system.

Old 10-08-2006 | 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

i can engage 4x4 while moving without a problem just by letting off the throttle.why do you need to take it out of 4x4 anyway?its not like a posi where it jerks you around.

Old 10-08-2006 | 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

I think it's pretty clear we all understand these systems are both based on the limited slip concept. I also think its pretty clear that each manufacturer feels these systems are important and are probably better to the general, overall public then a full locker which the average rider probably has no use for. Now I'm not trying to start an argument for/against lockers, I'm simply stating that for all general purpose riding which most of these quads are made for the auto 4WD systems SEEM to be pretty popular.
It is clear you do not understand the Polaris 4WD system. You could not consider it limited slip by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 10-08-2006 | 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

gtx I looked at your page to see what you ride and I was shocked I thought you would be riding a Jenny Craig 800 not an out dated chain drive popo. Where is your all wheel drive sp 800 that you go on and on and on about. Are you a politician their the only people that are as full of it as you.

Old 10-08-2006 | 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Now since my first technical point has been met with such resounding encouragement, its time to talk about my second point. That is:

1) When the BRP becomes stuck, its famous visco-lock becomes 3 wheel drive until it finally engages. Interesting concept. The Polaris system engages in 1/12 of a wheel revolution. Hmm.. more of that tire slipping stuff.

The BRP visco-lok is a limited slip type diff with a progressive lockup. However, it takes time and much slipping of a front tire before it engages. And it does not provide full torque to the non-slipping wheel until it is fully locked. The Polaris system on the other hand, engages either or both front tires within 1/12th of a tire revolution when the "REAR" tires slip. While the BRP front tire is slipping one of your front STEERING tires, the Polaris system has locked one or both front tires and does not force either of your STEERING tires to spin.

Now this type of spinning of your font tires may not make any difference if you drive like an old lady. However, we are comparing two supposedly high performance 4WD quads here. And if either of your front tires is spinning while your competitor is full engaged, it seems to me you are losing precious time in a race. Even worse, you are spinning your front steering wheels.

Seems to me, in this case, once again the Polaris 4WD system sure sounds superior to the BRP 4WD system. Once again, we see how badly some 4WD systems slip compared to the Polaris system.

Old 10-08-2006 | 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

7pgs of this BS, Who cares !!!!! Bryce I doubt you will ever convince anyone that the Popo has a 4x4 system that is any better then anyone elses 4x4 system. I don't know anyone that would buy a quad strictly on how the 4 wheel drive does or does not engage anyway. There are allot of us on this thread that have had polaris quads, I had 5 different polaris quads since 98 and none were even in the Outy 800s league IMO.

Old 10-08-2006 | 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

THE MAN WHO KNOWS!!!

Quick Reply: can-am800 vs sportsman800