CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Yet ANOTHER Barnett clutch question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet ANOTHER Barnett clutch question.

I installed the Barnet clutch but I have a few questions.

1- After installing everything there seems to be slack almost as if that last offset fiber plate almost can almost come off the clutch basket.

2- The teeth on the acudator broke off and I replaced it. From what I am reading in previous posts there should be two of them. What gets me is the shop manual states there is only one. Did this change over the years?? I only saw one fall out when replacing... not sure if there was another one since I looked at the shop manual and it shows the diagram of one washer. Could this be why there is so much play in the cluch plates?

Help.. I want to ride my DS again.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

this is what i did when i got my barnett clutch, take it to the dealer, they will charge you an hour. they'll do it right.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

I removed the bolts holding the pressure plate and resinstalled it removing ALL the slack. However the big question remains... one or two washers behind the actuator? Again my shop manual shows one.. but I read here there are two.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider

never had a barnett hold up more than a stock fiber clutch yet, new stock fibers, bead-blasted steels, and h/d springs will go alot further than a barnett kit, JMO.
I've had the same stock clutch fibers through 3 motors, no problem, break everything else, but no clutch slip ever.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I beleive there was one washer on mine and my manual says just one. As far as the Barnetts Im the opposite. They out last the stockers easily

Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Debating on using my old Pami Spring or stick to the Barnet Clutch set springs. I recently had an issue with my clutch not returning to it's disenaged position. From what I gathered from other posts with similar problems what might have caused that is TOO stiff of a spring. I wonder if you can alternate. Put 3 60% strongers with 3 Barnetts. I would love for easier clutch pull tho it isn't that bad. I think what I have is 40% stronger. I had the RWR 60% springs and if you riding wide open all the time it isn't so bad but if your ride in an area where your going to use the clutch a lot (Trail or track) it tires you down faster than a YFZ.

Seems like the heavier guys prefer the stiff springs. Meaner if I may ask...how tall and what is your weight. I'd like to get info from all shapes and sizes of the DS Camp to see what works and what didn't.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

I know guys that alternate springs and have no problems. Im about 240 and 6'3 and pure muscle LOL. Anyway thats my story the first part is true.
I was at Aledo a couple of years ago and HPR had just come out with the new stroker crank. I beleive it was a 720 but anyway it had a shortened swingarm and was a very violent ride for 222. Ive never seen a DS that hard to control or hit that hard out of the hole in my life. That quad was very impressive and Eric told me they ran Barnetts with Barnett clutches. He said they never had a problem with slipping and that sold me. I run Barnetts but I do have Wood racing 60% only because I had a new set and I trust them. Just my thoughts