CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can-am wins

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can-am wins

Lets just try to keep it fun.............afterall, thats what this sport is all about?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default can-am wins

And to be clear, it was a series of events, which resulted in a tally of points, and AC won the Championship. But there was spots that Can-Am shined. They passed the AC on the log jam course, as AC regained by getting through the rock challenge first. >>>>>>>

OK, I'm gonna have to call you out on this one. Not according to the article I posted. According to the article I posted

>>>Valcourt, Québec, September 22, 2006 – Can-AmTM ATVs from BRP won the manufacturers' championship of the inaugural World PowerSports Association (WPSA) Quadterrain racing tour.

Despite only competing in 9 of 10 events on the start-up circuit, racers on stock Can-Am OutlanderTM 650 H.O. EFI 4x4 ATVs won four races – the most of any manufacturer, and 12 of 30 podium spots – twice as many as the closest competitor. Can-Am racers also won seven of eight holeshot awards for the quickest driver to the first corner. >>>>

MOST wins and TWICE as many podium spots as the closest competition? What exactly is the criteria in this event?

Old 09-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default can-am wins

Who cares everybody! Buy Honda !

Sorry guys, just had to say that. Just drive what you got and be happy. Can't we all just get along??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default can-am wins

Honda? ATV television just said the new honda has a "silly" tranny! A three speed that isnt suitable in the ATV industry, which lacks the low end power for rough terrain, and gets "confused". I personally havnt ridden one, so i cant say i know what it feels like.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default can-am wins

lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default can-am wins

Here is a published article Raidermike

Press Release -

For the Arctic Cat team of ATV racers, it all came down to the last round of WPSA’s Quad Terrain Challenge to see if Daryl Rath (#67) could bring home a championship for the Thief River Falls, Minnesota based manufacturer. When the last checkered flag of the weekend dropped at Raceway Park in New Jersey, Daryl Rath was victorious.

Rath reflected on the series, “This is a great accomplishment for the Arctic Cat Factory as well as anyone who owns an Arctic Cat. The whole idea of racing this QTC series literally started three days before the first round in London, Kentucky. I approached Arctic Cat engineers, told them I thought their machines were tough enough to handle the abuse, we broke one out of the crate on Thursday, headed to the race and won the first two rounds!”

WPSA doesn’t call this the Quad Terrain Challenge for nothing. It’s not a motocross race on utility quads, but a challenge race with large brutal mud, log and rock obstacles. Rath goes on to say, “We came from behind quite a bit this season, but I just kept charging and never gave up. I’ve been training really hard, but I owe thanks to Arctic Cat and my 650 H1. Without the ground clearance and durability of this machine, I’d probably still be stuck somewhere.”

Rath wasn’t alone, Arctic Cat placed four racers in the top 8 spots, Joe “The Outlaw Duncan (#220), Jesse West (#888), and Kevin Johnston (#225) all had a solid year at the front of the pack. “We are proud of all our racers and especially our Arctic Cat-built 650 H1 machines", said Kale Wainer of Arctic Cat. "We proved our 4x4’s are extremely durable in stock trim while racing in an accelerated test atmosphere like the Quad Terrain Challenge. Without any reinforcements to our frame, we brought home several wins and podiums this year and had a ton of fun participating. It’s a good bet we will be back next year stronger than ever!”

Old 09-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default can-am wins

Here is a lengthy arcticle, from a diffeernt source, that backs up my saying AC won the championship, and they also talk only about the top TWO manufactures that shined through the entire race. AC and Can-Am
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>

Sep 15, 2006
By: Jeffrey Banks
ATV at Off-Road.com
The last frame’s been busted and the last tire’s been popped. The first season is over for the roughest tracks ever known in ATV racing, and Daryl Rath has claimed the first championship of the World Powersports Association Quad Terrain Pro Stock Challenge.

“The hardest competition I had was William Yokley and Scott Kilby. Those guys are always tough. Those other Can Am riders definitely showed some more speed at the end of the season,” Rath said. He took fifth in the final race Aug. 20 at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey.

Scott Kilby won the race, though he had to push hard to catch Rory Beckman’s Arctic Cat. Beckman was first out of the treacherous Rock Crawl, but Kilby caught up in the log jam, where he saw a chance to leap his Can Am over three logs and speed into the lead. Jesse West maneuvered his own Arctic Cat over the logs and through the mud to keep tight behind Beckman and ahead of the rest of the pack.

The snowmobile racer from Strandquist, Minn. proved very efficient on four wheels and he finished sixth overall. More than three thousand fans were along the track and in the bleachers. If you couldn’t be in New Jersey the race is broadcast Sunday, Sept. 10 at 1 p.m. on ESPN 2.

On Saturday West nearly got around Beckman in the last laps, especially when the Wendell, Minn. racer got stuck briefly in the rock crawl, but he managed to keep the lead from beginning to end of that round. West finished second and Rath, from Hutchinson, Minn., came in third.

Kilby came in sixth when, on the last lap, he slipped on the wet logs of the logjam and got stuck. A quick and strong tug from a towstrap and he was back in the race, but he’d lost valuable position. “We had a lot of tough competitions,” said the Waynesville, North Carolina racer. “I had some bad luck, picked some bad lines. Possibly, If I would have been at the very first race of the season, the points would have lined up a little differently.” Yokley, of Tomkinsville, Kentucky, missed that May 20 race in London, Kentucky, too.

Kevin Johnson of Maiden, North Carolina was there, but he had trouble in the Saturday race, too. “Somebody backed up and I ran into ‘em,” he explained. “We changed just the bumper and the radiator and we went right back to racing.”

In the Sunday finale he collided again, this time in the mudhole right before the logs. The crowd thought it was hilarious to see two professional riders slipping around, unable to move as their opponents blazed right by.

Even so, Johnson said, “I wish there was more races, because it seemed like I finally got my game going on at the end of the year.” He finished eighth overall, and had just started to learn the important lessons from watching the leaders.

“For anybody who’s come out to race, to be against Rath and Kilby and Yokley, that’s awesome. When you can line up against the pros, that’s a privilege for some people who have never raced in anything before.”

He knows even better now what makes the best the best. “They could pick really good lines,” Johnson explained, “I think it was endurance. And the biggest key was being smooth at picking liens where others, even myself, would run too hard in certain areas where (the leaders) would just be smooth through the entiretrack. They didn’t change much. They wouldn’t’ change their lines unless somebody was stuck in front of them. Whereas some of us would try to find a faster line to catch up, which wasn’t always a good idea. “

Johnson likes that the incredibly complicated track means a hole shot is less important. It’s a feature that tenth-place finisher Clifton Beasley of Chapel Hill, Indiana , likes too. It meant that the best were often battling with the rookies. 0

“On the quad terrain that’s what made the races interesting,” Beasley said. “You could go from first to last and back to first on the same lap. It’s the only race I’ve ever been in where the position changed as often as it did. In my case I’d be running in the front and end up in the back. I didn’t’ really like that, but it was the only kind of racing for us. Very challenging, I like that.”

Not just challenging, but unforgiving on the quads. As Kilby said, “It’ brutal. Somebody’s breaking something just about every heat. The course is brutal on the equipment.”

What’s the most damaging? “It varies, but I would say the rocks. The last couple races have been more than the logs. When they throw the water and the mud over the logs that makes it worse. You can’t get any traction so you have to rely on you momentum and you just get beat trying to keep it going.”

Tires popped, engines cracked and frames broke. The quad terrain challenge became notorious for leaving frames broken. The notoriety lifted Arctic Cat’s pride ever higher, since their racers ran stock frames all year without a single break. Arctic Cat spokesperson Kale Wainer said, “We field test in those conditions. As far as I’m aware, we are the only manufacturer that didn’t do any frame gusseting or anything. I know one brought eight brand new machines and they were all junk by the end of the race, and ours are still going.”

That’s a huge selling point for the spectators who see the races in person and on television. It’s bragging rights and pride in the product. “It was a proving ground that could help consumers consume our machines. There were a lot of milestones for us. This is the first time we raced ATVs and we won a championship.” Rath rides an Arctic Cat.

A lot of riders and Wainer talked about the spectator appeal with the quad terrain track right where people can see it, rather than stretching into forests like other series have. “It’s something the consumer can relate to more than doing 100 foot triple jumps,” Wainer said. “There’s talk of doing an amateur class next year where the rocks will be tamed down a bit, more for the average Joe.”

Getting that rolling will be easier now that the few bugs have been worked out of the WPSA. “There were some learning issues with the first time series, both wpsa as well as us, but we got through them,” Wainer said.

“The learning process is rules. It’s a stock class,” he continued. “At one point they had released some rules while everyone was on vacation and the machines were already shipped off to the next race. So here we were at the racetrack and we could have made some clutching changes but we didn’t know anything about it.” That’s minor, he concluded.

Rath’s quad did end up getting some clutch adjustments. “Cluchwork was the biggest thing they worked on,” Rath said, “and then jetting, to get the vehicle to put out more horsepower and then to use the horsepower it does have. They also worked with some different ignition mods, CDIs, to get some better control.”

His Douglas aluminum wheels saved weight, Rath said. “We found that the more weight we had the more it hurt us in our hole shot. Hopefully next year we can get the Arctic Cats faster on the hole shots so I don’t have to come from the back of the pack to win these things. Our vehicles are plenty durable. They’re a little heavier than some of the Can Ams and things.

Lastly, “We could not finish those races without tire *****, because of the flats.”

Rath is used to riding in modified classes, as are Yokley and Kilby.

“In 99 I ran stock,” Kilby said, “That’s the only other year I’ve ever run it. I really like running mod, because you can make the machine do more things that you need it to do. This stock class for the WPSA gives everybody an equal opportunity to be side by side, horsepower-wise. I think that’s a good thing as far as TV is concerned. The 800 that I have, there’s probably nobody else’s vehicle around that could keep up with it if we had an all-out mod. It really wouldn’t’ be fair if they turned everybody loose and I could do what I do in the GNCC. I’ve got an 800 Can Am. It’s factory-built mod bike, but you can’t just go buy this one.”

Of the few modifications that are allowed, Kilby lists electronic alterations and gusseting extra metal onto the frame for strength. “When we put extra steel in our frame we got protested because we turned some edges down to get extra rigidity, and some of the other people saw it as turning a ski down on the bottom of it instead of just support,” he said. We used metal in a creative way. They let us run it for the rest of this year, but they’re not going to let us run our reinforcements next year. We lost ground clearance by doing it, but some viewed it as we were cheating or something.”

Getting used to the stock configurations was the hardest part for Johnson. “I kept wanting a lot more power. I run utility unlimited. It didn’t’ have the power, but I didn’t’ realize you didn’t need it. I finally learned at the end of the year you don’t need that power. You’ve just sort of got to finesse what you’ve got to get through.”

Beasley agreed. “Speed is not really an issue. It’s getting through the obstacles,” he said.

The rules were very strict. “I think you could put an air filter in. I don’t know if we ever did that or not. All I know is we fixed what broke and we ran it. That’s about it. We put wheels and tires and handlebars on it and ran it just like it came out of the showroom. I know at the end of the season some of the other teams were starting to press the envelope on modifications.

“Any time the factories are there somebody’s upset about something,” he added, “Arctic Cat had a hard time. If we showed up with the wrong color socks or something, they were riding us all the time.”

His Arctic Cat got two new sets of lower A-arms over the summer. Also, “We tried some things. We tried an Ultimax belt and a Dalton clutch kit and a Dobeck fuel commander, and that was it.” He had tire ***** in his Douglas wheels, but “We never cut a tire all season. I was amazed. We bent a lot of rims and popped a few off the bead, but never cut a tire.”

Like most of the racers, Beasley usually runs mods. “The reason I run stock is that’s what my sponsors wanted me to do. They weren’t offering the money in the mod. In the modified class, it was just a payback on the take, where they were offering a $2,000 guarantee for the first in stock class,” he said.

Not only was this new class in this new series a draw to stock racing, but it was a draw away from the motocross tracks and sport machines for a lot of racers.

“A lot of people haven’t even ridden utility bikes,” explained Kilby. “There’re a lot of snocross riders and a lot of sport bike riders, like Rath. He’s never really competed on a utility bike. They’re not the everyday utility riders that I race.”

They’re stock utility riders now, though, and if this year’s success is an indication, more sport riders will be daring to ride stocks on the incredibly challenging quad terrain track.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default can-am wins

V2 - This is really important to you, isn't it. It's as though your sense of identity is tied up in your brand of quad, lol.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default can-am wins

Dsnut, if that's true bout V2 rider, I can say one thing for sure; he's not the only one![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default can-am wins

Originally posted by: DSNUT
POW....BAM.....CRASH........OOOF!........THUD!

The sound of an AC guy crashing to the mat with a CA guy standing over him[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] lol
Reminds me of a couple of other guys and Rocket Factory the last few months

Quick Reply: can-am wins