CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Kawasaki ruling the roost in the GNCC

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki ruling the roost in the GNCC

Anyone know why the prarie's are winning the cross country series.Can-am did take first in the modified class at the Ironman last weekend. In the utility stock class, kaw's took second and third and penland grabbed forth on his Outy 800. But in the unlimited class (utility), Kaw's took the first 15 places except for a Polaris that got forth. What's up with this, does anyone have the skinny on why this is?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure, but one thing I know is the kawie prairie 700 and brute force 650 SRA are basically and hybrid of a utility quad and sports quad. Before the 800outy came out, the kawie 700 prairie was the big dog on these races with Penland at the top. Now IMO, the prairie 700 is suited perfectly for the GNCC. It is fast, handles great due to SRA and very quick. That doesn't mean it is the fastest out there, but the entire package is very good. When I had my prairie 700, I love riding real fast and going around corners much better than my BF750. The prairie700 was my utility/sports atv and I could ride it hard and fast w/o any worries. My BF750 is now set up for mud and hunting/utility work.

Another thought is maybe several racers still own kawie prairie's (700/650) and have them set up for the GNCC. I probably would cost them too much to switch over to BRP's right now and since they already feel comfortable with their prairies, they race them.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else, but usually I am wrong. Oh well.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Shortstroke800
Anyone know why the prarie's are winning the cross country series.Can-am did take first in the modified class at the Ironman last weekend. In the utility stock class, kaw's took second and third and penland grabbed forth on his Outy 800. But in the unlimited class (utility), Kaw's took the first 15 places except for a Polaris that got forth. What's up with this, does anyone have the skinny on why this is?
The Bomb 800 won both utility mod and stock class for season championships and the unlimited is only Kawi V-forces with 1 or 2 Scramblers. No other quad races that class. The Bomb800 and Prarie700 are quads to beat. But remember, the rider has a lot more to do with it then the quad.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yo shortstroke, I'm about 10 miles from ya in Greencastle, we'll have to hook up at Badlands sometime, PM me next time you got a ride planned, I'll do the same.

I was at the ironman last weekend too, great time, always is.

So how about two chicks on the podium for the morning race? 2nd and 3rd places went to a sweet couple for sure. Does seem kinda unfair for pro riders with mega sponsers to compete with the novice classes, even if they are chicks. but what can ya say, they wouldn't hang like that in the afternoon race and I like seeing them on the podium anyway!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the moral support. I thought the unlimited class was was a utility unlimited class. Thats nice to know. And yes, the stock class for the year end was a bomb and the modified class is also a sweep by the 800 for the year end. It just seemed weird that there weren't more bombs out there running. Out of 3or 4 hundred quads out there, I didn't see many 650 ds's. Only a few. I hadn't realized there were so many Kaw's out there running around. Alot of thimes I have heard that utility kaws weren't that good of machines, but I guess you can't always believe what you hear. I have no complaints about my 800 and I am sure you will only start seeing more of them in the furture, Thanks...CRK

Old 10-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to agree that a lot of what wins those upper classes/races is machine setup and rider skill. The 800 Bomb is the machine it seems every one is switching to, however there are plenty of Kawies from years past that are competitive and probably more budget friendly. It doesn't surprise me when they do well.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

I hadn't realized there were so many Kaw's out there running around. Alot of thimes I have heard that utility kaws weren't that good of machines, but I guess you can't always believe what you hear. I have no complaints about my 800 and I am sure you will only start seeing more of them in the furture, Thanks...CRK
>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;

Weren't the Kawi's the first v-twin engines in an ATV?

Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, they were.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

I think there will be more outy's over time. The Outy's are not as do it your selfe friendly when it comes to making them race ready. I knwo the factory suported Outy race teams have specail race setups that include custom computor mapping that is not available to the dealers much less the public. I found that in our efforts to make one run faster that without total control of the ECM, its pretty tough to make major changes. Cams for example are a real problem with out having any ability to adjust timing, rev limmiter, idle control, and true fuel mixtures. The Outy is a high tech quad that needs high tech factory gadgets to work with. So I can see why so many mom and pop teams that have been racing there Prairies are sticking with them. You can make a prairie run just as strong as an Outy, it might cost you a lot of money but I imagine since they have already put all that money and time mastering the prairies and the prairies still have the SRA advantage that is very helpfull in this kind of racing. I think the prairies will out number the Outy's for a long time to come. Not that they will be able to beat the Outys but they are still very competative right now. I am interested in seeing what happens next year when the Renagade hits the circut. Last I herd it would be allowed in the utility classes, They might make a good showing even in the unlimited classes also.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: cc1999
I think there will be more outy's over time. The Outy's are not as do it your selfe friendly when it comes to making them race ready. I knwo the factory suported Outy race teams have specail race setups that include custom computor mapping that is not available to the dealers much less the public. I found that in our efforts to make one run faster that without total control of the ECM, its pretty tough to make major changes. Cams for example are a real problem with out having any ability to adjust timing, rev limmiter, idle control, and true fuel mixtures. The Outy is a high tech quad that needs high tech factory gadgets to work with. So I can see why so many mom and pop teams that have been racing there Prairies are sticking with them. You can make a prairie run just as strong as an Outy, it might cost you a lot of money but I imagine since they have already put all that money and time mastering the prairies and the prairies still have the SRA advantage that is very helpfull in this kind of racing. I think the prairies will out number the Outy's for a long time to come. Not that they will be able to beat the Outys but they are still very competative right now. I am interested in seeing what happens next year when the Renagade hits the circut. Last I herd it would be allowed in the utility classes, They might make a good showing even in the unlimited classes also.
Very good post. I always enjoy reading your post b/c you are very knowlegable. One thing I would like to mention is when I was at my dealer today, they told me next summer kawie will have the bf750 bumped up to 800cc with efi and a new suspension geometry. But, he also said they have been toying with the idea of having the same motor in a v-force/prairie combination with 4wd kinda like the Renagage. I thought this was very interesting. He said to look for published spy photos in Feburary or March. This was Highlands Tractor and Kawasaki in Highlands, Texas and Luke the head kawie guy there mentioned this to me. This store sells more kawies than any other dealer in the south and south west, and they also have a race team with a 700prairie hopped up and is very fast.

Quick Reply: Kawasaki ruling the roost in the GNCC