CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Whats next in search for big power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats next in search for big power?

I have a 01 ds with a 11.5to1 ron woods piston, direct mount filter, jetted, comepletely stock exhaust. Whats next in order of most power for the money? Carb?, open tip, slip on muffler, cams, cdi, lightweight sprockets, etc etc???/ I need real world experience...not what a magazine says. What picked your bike up the most in a drag race for the money? Keep in mind i am on a budget....And a carb is about as expensive as i want to go..

Thanx fellas....

Old 10-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Most bang for the buck i would combine a couple of those elements. These engines like the intake and the exhaust opened up. You can watch on here and ebay to catch a used tm45 or lectron 46 if you plan on internal mods in the future. Or search on here for the 450r carb post some guys have had good results with them. Since cost effective is our goal end cap is the way to go on the exhaust. Hpr has a really good looking one I'm not sure if you can get it through Ondunes or not anymore have to check with them. I think ron woods offers one as well or find a used one they pop up from time to time. Then the 520 chain conversion is very effective. I think you can have all three of these with a little leg work for a good price and you would feel good results.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Rc is correct
The route I went was a CDI first because I hated the limiter. I would say the carb, open the intake, endcap and CDI. These I feel are a must. 520 is a good idea but I think the others help more. Get ready Ive been working on and upgrading since 02 and Im still at it. Good luck

Old 10-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

thanx guys.....I am in the market for a used carb and also a end cap....I have heard of a timing mod that is easy, i have looked at it and it seems easy enough. Would you say this is worth a try. It says to elongate the mounting holes on the timing module, and advance it. The only prob is i have no idea how far to move it safely.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rcoop
Most bang for the buck i would combine a couple of those elements. These engines like the intake and the exhaust opened up. You can watch on here and ebay to catch a used tm45 or lectron 46 if you plan on internal mods in the future. Or search on here for the 450r carb post some guys have had good results with them. Since cost effective is our goal end cap is the way to go on the exhaust. Hpr has a really good looking one I'm not sure if you can get it through Ondunes or not anymore have to check with them. I think ron woods offers one as well or find a used one they pop up from time to time. Then the 520 chain conversion is very effective. I think you can have all three of these with a little leg work for a good price and you would feel good results.
Just like he said but I would do the 520 conversion first. Fairly inexpensive if you put it together yourself. I dont know what kind of riding you do mostly but a non o-ring chain (sand only) gives the best results. We put two lengths on a 700r (that always pulled at least 2 to three length wins) with a ct pipe and aftermarket boondocker efi controller with a DS running an 11.5:1 piston, stock carb, Stock exhaust with ODP disc endcap. Stock head and a vortex ignition. Great bang for the buck. we saw the biggest gain from the 520 conversion. You might also consider getting rid of the direct mount filter and running the air tube from the airbox and attaching the filter to it minus the air box. It will improve air velocity by smoothing out the flow. the open end caps are great but if you can have the scratch get an HPR slip on. Just my .02

Old 10-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

Wow....so you are saying that with a stock carb you can still get good results with other mods....Hell for the price of a carb, I could get a big gun cdi (120) and a slip on, and maybe throw a 520 kit together. Hmmmm Would those upgrades be stronger than buying a carb? Also, what about all the stock carb mods that the oldman has up on this site. Are they worth it? Will you see a difference in a drag race? I have 2 stock carbs and i could try to do the mods if i knew it would help in a drag race situation. Man I love the info you can get on this site. I just wish i could have gotten this kind of help with my street race car. Thanx again.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Carb & drag axle.

Setup is key. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

If you just want to dragrace it drag axle, 520 chain, and nitrous. That will beat any carb,pipe,or cdi.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

upgrade to a Raptor...

Old 10-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OverRaTeD

upgrade to a Raptor...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Whats next in search for big power?