CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outtie 800 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outtie 800 suspension

Anyone change out the shocks on their outtie 800 yet? I have almost 400 miles on mine and do not like the suspension and steering. I am hoping new shocks might lighten up the steering when deccelerating. I also think that new front shocks might eliminate the bottoming that I have been experiencing!! That front suspension is aweful. I have played with the preloads and cannot improve it much. I started pumping my tires to 7 psi just to help with the steering. I can see why power steering is neccessary on some machines.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

Hey bud i hear on you suspension problems. My suspension is not much better. I am going to try to get a local guy to make a set of front shocks. When I stiffend my front shocks the steering got a little harder. Other people go with back shocks on the front which would work. They're some that put on the rear shorties on the front but they say it don't last. Go over to arorah wheelers and join that forum. They have the best outie forum I have found and they know their stuff.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

A cheap fix is to buy a set of rear shock and springs and put them on the front. It gives it a lift and stops the nose diving. It will cost about $200

Old 12-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Jordo. My brother in law made a call to works performance. I am waiting to hear back from him. The way he was talking, it looks like $400 per pair or so. Might be a good investment, because I really miss my rincon!!! Power only gets you so far and the bike has given me many scares to date. It just needs fine tuning.

I see you list a K&N filter for your bike. I didn't think there was one available yet. Are you usi9ng somethingv very close to factory or do they make one. If you could give me the model number it would be appreciated.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure what you mean about the steering when decelerating, but there is a company which I don't know the exact name of (precision something, for racing bikes, starting up utility) that builds steering stabilizers, prevents movement of the handlebars, like a shock for up and down, only it's for sideways. On a rocky trail, no more 'jitter' of the bars. When they start building for Outys (soon), I'll post all their info. If you want to get on the 'purchasers' list, non-binding, I have their email address, etc. I have nothing to do with them, just as a potential customer. My personal interest is my shoulders got messed up in sports, the stabilizer would help a lot.

Shocks are designed for a wide range of loads, not just the quad and 140-300 lb rider, but for big time impact loads. Your call, but I think our shocks are ok, the springs are not. New springs are being developed soon for another Outy forum group, the front shortys, that should help a lot. They would be longer and a little stronger to work with the existing shocks. 100-150$ per set or per each, not sure. Either way I'm getting a pair (to replace the front shorty springs).

Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Trailblazer

Works shocks would be really good. My K&N is off of a polaris 800. It barely fits but it works really good. No problems yet.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guys, I am in the descision making stages right now for getting a new quad, for my price range I am looking at the 500 HO Outie XT or the 680 Rincon, input would be greatly appriciated.. Tks

I hear that the Outie 500 will out run the Rincon but I am wondering about the reliabilty and confort of both units, I am a Honda fan but have to admit that the Outie looks prety impressive.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

I ride an Outtie 800 XT. I bought it last spring after my 03 Rincon was stolen. I had over 5000 miles on my honda. Never experianced any issues that were not driver induced!! The bike rode flawlessly, handled like a dream, and was bullet proof. It could have used a little more power. A friend had a Grizz and was always breaking suspension parts and bearings, while I did everything he did and experienced no problems. His bike was stolen with mine and he had 2000 miles with minor repairs.

I now have the bomb 800, and the power is great, but the suspension is many steps behind the Honda. Brakes don't perform as well either. I can't do endo's with the bomb! Can-am claims 12" ground clearance, but the honda avoids the rocks like it was 3-4 inches higher than the bomb. If you ride at night, you will have to do something with the bomb lights as they are awful! I have also had issues with a wet belt. I had my Honda in water above the racks and my belt never slipped!!!! Also my friends laugh at me when we approach a mud hole and I have to stop to engage 4wd. Did Bomb forget about shift on the fly technology?

On the plus side, the honda (now) has EFI, as do the bombs. A great feature. Honda has no low range, even though I never needed it. The Honda is not a work bike.

I guess the bottom line is that if my Bomb was stolen, it would get replaced by a Rincon. I can't trade it in as the resale on them sucks! I like power but do not want to sacrafice refinement. By the time my bomb is enjoyable it will have cost me $3000-$4000 in upgrades. And Bomb should be the first bike with power steering as I think it is tough to steer. A 40 mile ride wears me out more than back to back 200 mile days on the Honda!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: atvshopping
Hey Guys, I am in the descision making stages right now for getting a new quad, for my price range I am looking at the 500 HO Outie XT or the 680 Rincon, input would be greatly appriciated.. Tks

I hear that the Outie 500 will out run the Rincon but I am wondering about the reliabilty and confort of both units, I am a Honda fan but have to admit that the Outie looks prety impressive.
The only feature of the Outy that I do not like is the lack of ground clearance. I hear over on the Aurora Wheelers forum that CanAm is coming out with a fix for that. I'll believe it when I see it.

The other features of the Outy is better than other quads I've been on, the ride, stability, engine braking second to none, acceleration second to none, reliability, I've got 2500 miles on mine and no problems, none. The ride is very comfy, very fast on the trail, there is a feeling of sitting down in the bike, not sitting on top of it like the Polaris or Brute Force. This is the only thread I've seen where the owner wants to switch brands.

Not saying the originator of this thread is wrong, his bike may be a total lemon.

For myself, I would not trade my 800XT for anything on the trail today. I am an older rider, and have done four 200 mile rides in four days on the Paiute trail in Utah, on the fifth day I was ready for another 200.

Come over to the Aurora Wheelers forum, nothing but Outys. I'll tell you right now what the two complaints you will hear over there, lack of ground clearance and skid plates required before you even go near a rock. Also about 1 out of 8 from a poll of 200+ Outys has heat problems, which CanAm will fix under warranty. That's it.

The XT package puts 70 more pounds on the bike. It will still probably take the Rincon 680, but why not get the Outy 650 if you're going with the XT package? Just askin'.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe I am too harsh. But I am very disappointed with the suspension. I have set the preloads to the max and have not ridden it since. Maybe that will help. Otherwise it will be new shocks. From what I heard, it does wonders. Hopefully I can save money and just do fronts. Or maybe I just ride too hard!! lol I guess durability will be the real test. If it is half as reliable as the Honda, I will be happy. If it is as reliable I will be downright impressed!!! But the shift on the fly (or lack of) scares me. It is common for me to be travelling at 30+mph and come upon a snowdrift that is 100 feet long or more. At 30 you push the button and hammer it to get as far as you can!! I hope the bomb can do that or I will have issues at 2am in the middle of a big field in a foreign country,(Canada). Because its ground clearance will not get me through, I need momentum!