CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

720 Aluminum Bore Build Costing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 720 Aluminum Bore Build Costing

I actually still have an 84' YZ490, that RUNS!! Its an ugly fart, but man does it move out. I just wanted something easier to ride, and something I can take to the hills. Man I got lazy on the Ds. Love my electric start!!lol

Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER

Erbe- We might go to pismo this weekend or next we dont know. Id rather wait till the nos is fully tuned this week then go back.

What cams are you playing with? What are you looking to gain? You goung bigger lift?</end quote></div>

Same .435 lift as teh ERBE01 Cams with more and less durations, which is a bit taller than the Web 109s and the A1-A2s.
Laurie at Web and I really feel that this new midrange grind will turn the 720/730 DS into a fun duner for us heavy big boned guys, like I wrote I liked the ERBE01 cams they just fell short on RPM Torquey as hell and I think will work well in a play dunner stock bore,A friend of mine with a DS and HPR parts said it rode like it had HPR 2 cams
But with shim under buckets and a RWRCDI I would like to run close to 9000RPM with more midrange close to the HPR 3-4 cams
Find out soon kinda habving fun now seeing what works and how the alumsleeve holds up.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

have you tried the woods 7's?

I know woods at one point made a 4.35 .. I dont know the exact duration.

What are the differences on the dyno with your custom Erbe cams opposed to the wodds/HPR/web grind cams? Have you examined the rev speeds of the cams or run time in same gear starting at same RPM on dyno?

I think there is so many other variable as far as carbs, pipes comp etc to be able to say you feel a difference in a cam. imo... The only way you can get true cam test results is to switch thenm at the dyno on the same day same dyno back to back. Or you can look at the curve in general but you still wont get anyTRUE readings/findings unless all things are equall.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Havent used any other cams other than stock, and the Erbe 01s, like I wrote before Ill test the new ones soon.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 650VIPER

See how ya are Mark!! lol

Hey, I'm taking the new bike out for its maden dune voyage saturday. We'll see how it compares to the Ds in the sand box.

I bet its hotter than all get out in Nevada right now. How far is it for you to go to Pismo?</end quote></div>

Pismo is about 5.5 hours. . . When you thinking of going?

Is this the new dirtbike?

We are only a few weeks from our Oregon trip. Got room for you if you wanna stop by??

Old 06-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No not heading out. Just wondering if its a good alternative to Nevada for you folks.
Yep, the new bike had been layed down three times now......so its ready for the dunes,lol! Looking forward to it.

Now dont get me started on the Oregon thing. You really dont know how bad I want to go. Many things are preventing this from happening, specially during this time of year. But man there really isnt more I'd like to be doing than sitting on the side of the ocean feeling that breeze! Man its hot here!!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ERBEDS650

Just dynoed my DS, it has a Aluminum sleeved 105 (720), 13.5 pison,web Custom Cams, tm48 F&L fuel 110, woods pipe, big valve ported head with shim unders. Max HP was 64 @ 7900 and signs off like a nose bleed at 8500. Max torque was at 54 ftlbs.
Stock Tires and gearing was 15/42 I havent picked up the quad yet or the sheet to post will do so, this was not done on a Dynojeyt Dyno but im happy with the numbers.
Mario may be right I might play with a different grind on the cams and legthen the duration just a bit more.</end quote></div>

Well Got the DS Dynoed, wish I had Slicks for testing, I ended up at 8800 RPM
with 66 HP @ 56 ftlbs of torque, Pro shop says that there dyno reads low, its a tool for dialing in the jetting, not for dyno wars they said, I have to admit there is a WAYYY bigger difference over the ERBE01 cams, lost some bottom end, but this quad now pulls and pulls very hard in the midrange!!, Proshop said this was there 1st 720 they dynoed, and as for compairing to the A1 A2 taht they work with they said mine felt like they pulled harder when they road it.
I need to change the gearing again, was at stock 14/40 then a 15/42 with 720, now I may go 16/40 I run through the gears too fast and it tends to wheelie to easy, and I havent put the lightened flywheel on yet, Ill be taking her out to Pismo this weekend to play and pound on her.
Ya know Imust say I had fun building this quad, hoping I show some longevity on the cylinder and reliable performance down the road and enjoy cruising the dunes for years to come with it.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

I have found that by lowering the rear, by lossening the rear spring, really helps reduce wheelieing. You want it low enough to reduce wheelieing, but not too low that you will bottom out when jumping. You will find the need to turn the upper shock adjustment screw, by battery, clockwise 2 clicks to help prevent bottoming.
Softer spring and stiffer shock setting are a good balance.

OMR

Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the Tip OMR, but after Pismo im going to put the plus 4 swinger on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erbe,
Nice numbers, I hope to break 50 with my mild build.

Try to put the flywheel on before Pismo, or if you have an enclosed trailer just take it with you and swap it out to do back to back with it, I think you will like it. Especially if you are trying to build revs faster with your new cams.
Scott

Quick Reply: 720 Aluminum Bore Build Costing