CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Two Outlander questions for owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two Outlander questions for owners

So the Outlander 650 is on my short list as the next quad. Haven't ridden one yet but it 'feels' right and I'm pretty sure that I'd like it. I don't really need the 800, and would rather spend the difference in purchase price of the 650 over the 800 to get the XT package. On to two questions:

1. That single brake lever. It really feels funny to not have the right hand lever but that could simply be because I am used to having one there. For all of you who have switched over to the single lever - what are your thoughts? Do you really miss separate brake controls?

2. Regular ATV vs the Max version. I ride single just about 100% of the time, with the only exceptions being doubling up with my youngest while towing his ATV just because he's pooped out after a long ride, or if we are riding on asphalt ATV routes that prohibit his age as a driver. However, if I did have a true two person ATV, I could see some times when the wife and I would ride double. Test-sitting single on the Max feels OK - in that it doesn't feel too much larger than the regular size. How is the Max as a single out on the trails? Does if ever feel too long or do you not even notice it?

Jaybee

Old 12-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have two Outlanders. A single seater and a Max. We got the single seater first and I got used to the one brake lever right away. It wasnt a problem at all. Before we got the Max we rode doubles all the time with out a problem. Though it is alot nicer to ride doubles with a Max it isnt that bad with a standard Outty. I took our Max through some tight trails and the standard Outty is a little better and more agile but not alot.

I would say if you were gonna buy one, to go with the single seater. If you do ever need to ride doubles it wont be problem. I would however strongly suggest the 800. The standard 800 I think is still cheaper than a 650 Max.

Good Luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 800 Outlander Max XT and a DS650 Baja X. I have NO trouble going between them and riding, even though the DS has the break lever. The Outlander is easier to ride and the brake bias from the single lever is set up very well. You still have a foot brake if you only want to use the rear brake.

I would get the Max as the extra wheel base adds to stability going up and down hills and going over whoops. I ride on tight trails a lot and the other, non- two up, quads make the same 3 point turns when I have to. I haven't seen much of an advantage to having a single seat quad.

My friend got the 650 Outlander and his power delivery is not much different then the 800. Only the top end speeds really are the difference. I would get a 650 Outlander Max XT.....You won't regret it.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

You know it doesnt bother me one bit. I can ride my KTM and then ride the outty without even a hint of not having the right side brake lever

Old 12-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

OK, here is my 2 cents worth on this subject. Being new to ATV's, I can only give you my opinion on how I like my 650 Max XT. MY WIFE AND I LOVE IT!!!!! As stated earlier, there is always the foot brake on the right side. I use either the hand brake or the foot brake depending on conditions.

As for the regular or Max version......I would say to get the Max version. If you don't ride double, you can always remove the seat and attach the cargo decking "thing" to make extra space behind the driver seat. My wife and I are not small framed people, if you get my drift. We have absolutely NO problem riding double. Even after riding on logging/quarry roads for 4 hours, no back pain. The extra length of the Max makes it quite stable. I would not hesitate to purchase another one or recommend one to someone.

The only real difference between the 650 and 800 is top end speed, in my opinion. We don't usually go over 10-20 miles per hour on our rides so the speed issue is of no importance to us. We will never use it.

Hope this helps in some way. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

I would have to respectfully disagree with the power comparisons between the 650 and 800 made here. Although the 650 has very good power, the 800 does have more power from bottom to top. We have lined them up in a drag race with equal conditions and the 800 takes the 650 off the line and continues to pull away from it all the way through.

Dont get me wrong the 650 is not week by any means. Infact Im pretty sure the 650 Outty is the second fastest utility made. If power isnt that important than the 650 will be more than enough (did you check out the 500 Outties). But with the 800 its just that much more fun. The power of the 800 makes the machine feel very light and agile.

I love our 800's. When you can take a stock full weight Utility Quad and go whip any stock Sport Quad in a drag race, that is just plain fun and a real sense of pride. Especailly when they come back and say...WHAT IS THAT THING...Now I know, I know, I know not everybody cares about drag racing but Im just giving and idea of what the 800's are capeable of.

Again, good luck and let us know what you decide on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

While I have not rode a max my 800 XT which I favor in regard to every other aspect vs. my BF750 the the seat doubles a lot better than my single seater Outlander. To me the rear rack seems too close for comfort even while riding by yourself if you are jumping and leaning back I have to adjust my riding to keep my tailbone off of it. If I was riding 2 adults I would opt for something other than a single seat outlander but for an occasional double you should be ok.
Pic of the outlander seat

Old 12-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

650 or 800, I love the 800 power and am looking to increase it with pipe and dobeck.

The first Outy I ever rode was a Max, and it made up my mind in about 10 minutes to sell my beloved Prairie 700. I never saw that ever happening.

BTW, if you're a long legged guy, you don't get any more leg room on the max, so I've been told.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

I have the same brake setup on my Polaris and the only time it makes any difference is when you meet other atv's on a trail and your carrying a lot of speed (my foot brake dont work worth of crap) so you find yourself not being able to signal but i guess slowing down is more important anyway

Old 12-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Safety and fun.....what it's all about. I absolutely love the slow crawl down steep descents, all you have to do is steer, enjoy the ride, also the power getting up those same trails.

The fun is powersliding, easy to do on an Outy, and just kickin' it going up a steep pitch, if you want to, the power is there.

The guys that brag on their quads in our club, about 150 quads, do not mess with me and vice versa. I'm past showin' people up just cause I can.

Happy trails, season's greetings to all

Cal

Quick Reply: Two Outlander questions for owners