CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

hard cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard cold starting

Its valves. Once it warms its fine

Old 12-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help guys.... im gonnia check the valve clearance and ill get back you....

Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Mine has had this issue since it was brand new. It's not a cold weather starting machine. Although it does eventually fire. I kinda assumed it was related to leaning out in the cold weather but the valves have never been adjusted and it's an 05.

What's involved in valve clearance adjustment? I understand the concept but how far do you need to tear down the quad...gas tank need to come off? How about the tappets..special tools? Gasket replacement for the cover?

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

theothernorm - the airbox intake air through the two snorkel tubes that are on each side of the boot that goes from filter to carb - they terminate just under the tank cover. the barb on the bottom of the airbox is just a drain hole.

but with a properly tuned carb, good spark plugs, and proper valve adjustment the bike otta start okay. check valve clearances, adjust if needed, replace both plugs with oem type dr8ea since you don't know how old they are, and then check with OMR (oldmanracing) here on the forums for carb adjustment advice. the idle mixture screw located up inside a little tunnel on the bottom of the bowl probably needs richened up a tiny bit, a half turn can mean the difference between great or borderline okay or crappy, most early DS's came from factory a bit lean and caused more issues in colder climates than elsewhere.

also take bowl off carb and make sure she is clean inside, and if its got some debris in it then clean it all and also clean out the jets - remove pilot and clean out all its holes, and also make sure the starter jet (looks just like the main jet) is clean. but do not clean with a raspy cleaner that would enlarge the holes, use a bristle from a brush to poke through clogs and use compressed air.

valve check and adjustment does not require anything special, just feeler gauges and basic tools, no gasket needed, the valve cover gasket is reusable and made for this. there are many posts on this with good advice.

also change oil to 10w40, if it has 15w50 in it then cold weather makes it very hard to turn over motor.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

bombman... you had the same exact questions that I did, thanks for saving me the post, and hightower, you rock for knowing the answers......this board is the NUTTS!!!