CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Valve clearance adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve clearance adjustments

hey guys.... its me again, Im trying to adjust the valve clearance, I removed the top cover of the motor (exposing the cams and the cam carriers) the shop manual tells me to remove the drain plug on the right side cover, am I removing that plug so i can physically turn the motor to TDC? The manual isnt very clear on how or where to adjust the valves. What the manual is telling me (i think) is to remover the cam carriers and the cam and the timing chain (this doesent sound right) Also where exactly am i checking clearance with the feeler guages? am I looking for a clearance between the cam lobes and the lifters? I appriciate any help 2strokes I know, 4 strokes are all new to me... thanks

Old 01-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

easy way to check them is pull the valve cover off. Pull a plug and rotate the motor until the canm timing marks are lined up with the arrows on the middle chain guide. The cam lobes should be facing away from eachother. Use a feeler gauge and measure the distance in between the cam lobes and the valve cap. More to come later on how to adjust em.I gotta get back to work. Do a search on Valve adjustment there was a video floating around for awhile that can help. Maybe someone will post link to it. nudge nudge.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok... i found the video that you were talking of, heres my questions......do I have to buy the TDC locking bolt or can i just put a longer screw in? also where do i find the correct valve shimm kit? and the TDC locking bolt if i need one

Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

I have been using a phillips screw driver to hold at TDC. What you want to do for Shims is figure out what size you need to go to. Tell us what your current clearence is, and what size shims you have in, and we can help with what thickness you need. You just need to get a 29mm shim if you are still stock. Dealer should have what you need. I also believe you can get that shim size from a Harley shop. Someone correct me if I am wrong there. If you have the shim underbucket conversion, then you need the 13mm shims, and you can get those at a kawi dealer....

Old 01-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider

You can get the shims at bmw motorcycle dealers.You can make you own tdc bolt.
I cant remember the size offhand though.Do another search and you will find way
better instructions than i could give.

I found the link i used. Link for tdc bolt

Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Yea you can make yourself a tdc bolt as was mentioned or you can get one from a dealer...You will need to take the top cover off like you did already and take the cap off exposing where the crank is and tunr the engine til you see the tdc mark and have the cam lobes away from one another like was also mentioned...Then take a feeler gauge and check to see if you have the correct gapping for the valves...If you don't have the right gapping then you will need write down the gaps and the shims sizes using a micrometer or vernier caliper to measure the shim thickness...but in order to get to the shims and buckets you will need to take the cams out...take the chain tensioner out allowing the chain to have slack and loosen the cam brackets...MAKE SURE YOU WIRETIE THE CAM CHAIN IN THE AIR SO IT DOESN'T FALL INTO THE CAVITY OF THE ENGINE...one the cams and brackets are out pull out the buckets to take the shims off use either air or needle nose pliers to pop them off but do it away from the engine...put the new shims in making sure that they are in the correct locations and put the cams and brackets back in using assembly lube...line up the timing marks and make sure that the engine is still at tdc...put the chain back on the cams once it is lined up and tighten the chain tensioner...make sure you have all of the torque specs to torque down the bolts...and once you are done check to make sure the gap is correct before putting the valve cover back on and putting the caps back in the holes...you will also need to use locktite on the bolts I believe it's blue locktite on certain bolts the manual should mention that...once your all done fire her up and get on your way wish ya luck and if you have any ?'s let me know.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

The BMW shop I went to exchanged my used ones for other used ones. They worked just fine so I bought the dude a six pack of cold ones.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys, I took the valve cover off, hand cranked the bike to TDC, the front two valves (exhaust I beleive?) got readings of (left side).006 and (rt. side) .005 (which is in the range) the other two rear valves were in contact with the valve so I couldent get a reading, am I only consirned with the front two? Should I be consirned that the back two are in contact at TDC? thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

yea you will need to get all of the valves if you can try turning it until you can get a reading on all of the valves