CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Explain paddles to me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain paddles to me...

Can someone explain the different haulers to me. You have standard, standard bead to bead, standard ultrabuffs, extremes, extremes bead to bead, extreme ultrabuffs. Obviously I know what the difference between the regular haulers and extremes are, but what is bead to bead and the different buffs? Also what is rollout?

I have 22" hauler extremes (8 paddle) now, but if it is worth it might look to switch to save some weight, but need them to still be tough.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JMann2380
Can someone explain the different haulers to me. You have standard, standard bead to bead, standard ultrabuffs, extremes, extremes bead to bead, extreme ultrabuffs. Obviously I know what the difference between the regular haulers and extremes are, but what is bead to bead and the different buffs? Also what is rollout?

I have 22" hauler extremes (8 paddle) now, but if it is worth it might look to switch to save some weight, but need them to still be tough.

Thanks,
Josh
That is a very good question. Although I can't answer ALL of those Q's perhaps I can answer a couple...

I believe that "bead to bead" means that the paddle covers the entire width of the tire (from bead to bead). If this is correct, they would have more "bite", but may slow you down at top speeds.

Buff and Ultra buff refers to how much material has been removed from the outer surface of the tire. For instance, buffed has more removed than standard, and ultra buffed has more removed than buffed. This makes the tires lighter which is better for dragging, but not so good for trail riding as they can get punctured much easier (due to the thinner rubber).

Hope this helps some, and I look forward to others answers as I too am curious about some of the other terms which I have heard tossed around, but never took the time to understand. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Regular Haulers are shaved just on top and the sidewalls are not. Ihave the triple buffs which are shaved top and sides and shaved thin to make them light. Or course the regular blades are not as thick as the extremes and wont fold back like the regulars. Ive been told the extremes bite alot better but I always got them because they dont wear much. I was told a 12 regular blade is equal to a 10 blade extreme. Rollout is how big the tire balloons up. Ive got 2 sets of 25s and one is a rollout of 79 and one 81 and you can tell the difference. With say 10pds in each the 81 is noticably bigger.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrMeaner
Regular Haulers are shaved just on top and the sidewalls are not. Ihave the triple buffs which are shaved top and sides and shaved thin to make them light. Or course the regular blades are not as thick as the extremes and wont fold back like the regulars. Ive been told the extremes bite alot better but I always got them because they dont wear much. I was told a 12 regular blade is equal to a 10 blade extreme. Rollout is how big the tire balloons up. Ive got 2 sets of 25s and one is a rollout of 79 and one 81 and you can tell the difference. With say 10pds in each the 81 is noticably bigger.
Cool pics MrMeaner..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

BTW, how'd you come up with that name??

Old 01-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

3-types of haulers can be purchased with either regular blade or extreme blade paddles.

(1) Regular/Standard buffed= what most vendors offer, which are the heaviest and are buffed only on top between the paddles (1) time. (NOT THE SIDEWALLS)

(2) Double buffed=have been buffed from wheel to wheel (bead to bead) [INCLUDING SIDEWALLS] (2) times which in turn are lighter than standard buffed.

(3) Triple buffed/Ultra-Lites=have been buffed from wheel to wheel (bead to bead) [INCLUDING SIDEWALLS] (3) times which in turn are the lightest skat-trak available.

Note: Prices are increased from 1-3.

Rollout=the distance around any given tire.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

there are actually many different skattrak paddles available other than just haulers and extremes. extremes have the same length paddle as the hauler ( 11 inch) and both the extreme and haulers paddle are 7/8 inch tall but the extremes base is longer and heavier duty to help keep it from bending back under power. skattrak still offers the taller hauler (1 1/8 tall paddle) even though they dont advertise it anymore and also now sell the Ripper which is basicaly a taller hauler with a wide base design similar to the extreme . you can also order what skattrak calls the 11 inch paddle which has a 2 inch tall scoop and isn't advertised anywhere. I run 10 of these paddles on a 24 inch tire on my snomobile bikes and they hook real hard. the term roll out came from standing up a mounted and properly inflated tire carcass and making a mark on the side wall of the tire where it meets the floor and on the floor itself and rolling the tire forward across the floor untill the mark on the side wall again points at the floor where you make another mark .measure between your starting mark and your finish mark and you will have roll out. I believe this measurement is taken on a bare carcass though which has already been stripped of tread.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Good stuff guys, thanks. Is there a significant weight saving by going with a bead to bead over a standard extreme without sacrificing too much durability? I am worried about the lava rock at St. Anthonies while still taking advantage of the soon to be 520 conversion, turned hubs and lighter drivetrain.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

if you are just going to dune ride I would get standard buff. I have had triple buffs that actually leak air right when I first mounted them . they are very thin , almost like riding on balloons . they dont like rocks. if you are building a hill racer only, then get the tripple buffs. you will only loose a pound or 2 with the triple buffs. not worth it on a ds.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Any suggestion for 300 ft dirt, wondering if a paddle will work on dirt, occasional rock....

in a 24" Auto tranny, 100 hp.

Right now using 4 4snows

Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SHOTGUN
Any suggestion for 300 ft dirt, wondering if a paddle will work on dirt, occasional rock....

in a 24" Auto tranny, 100 hp.

Right now using 4 4snows

Skat-Trak makes two type of paddles made specifically for hard pack which are called Desert Storm or Terrain Trak. They seem to work very well for this application.

The best thing to do is check out skat-trak.com for more options.