CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How do ya'll like your Outlanders???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do ya'll like your Outlanders???

I have heard of problems with the camo.....Let us know if you have it too....I want it but only if it stays there....also trying to decide on the xt or max xt.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

Hi CaptD,

I have a 2007 Outlander 650 Max XT in Camo. I'm interested in what problems you have heard of. I have had mine since October 2006 with no problems yet, although I only have 11 hours on it so far.

Also, if you are even remotely thinking of taking a second person along or needing a bigger rear rack space, get the Max XT. Not as tight turning as the non-Max model, but that was not an important consideration for me as I almost always ride with a passenger.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have heard the camo will crack in the cold or if hit.....I guess it's the camo covering not the fender it self....I'm glad to hear you haven't had problems as that is what I want...

Old 04-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weewane
I have a 07 650 I now have like 25 hrs on it and love it It is the best quad for me. I have done a few modds to mine to fix factory problems ex. weak frame= fixed, need for skids= done, water entry= fixed now all I have to do is the springs which I have not had a problem with yet.

Also I dont know what he was talking about eather about front lock and woods riding I think it does better than the popo in the woods but that is just my opinion.
weewane talks above about having fixed the weak outy frame. He did reinforce the lower spar beam by inserting 3 steel tubes in it. He did it to increase the dent resistance of the lower spar.

I think he would agree that he mis-spoke when he said he fixed the 'weak frame'. The Outy does not have a weak frame. Pls get that clear in the reader's mind.

Very few people have installed these inserts into the lower frame member. The great majority of us who have not put these small steel tubes in the lower spar have had no problem with a 'weak frame'. We have dented this member which requires skid plates without a doubt! The frame has had no failures due to being weak or dented.

The Outy does have an easily dented exposed lower frame member, the one that CanAm's BS about 'sliding over rocks and logs' is talking about. They're trying to put spin on an exposed (meaning easily dented) frame member. That video of the Outy sliding over a log is total BS!

The only frame failures I have seen on the forums are the result of being wrecked. Then the wreckee complains on the forums that the frames are weak and CanAm won't fix them. That's true, CanAm won't fix wrecked and kinked frames.

I have not seen anything about a frame failure on the forums from being ridden hard. Not one! And certainly no frame failures that have been proven by forensic engineering to have failed from riding stresses only - there is always a wreck to one of the front quarters involved.

No offense, weewane, the above is just for the record, we know that you put the tubes in for added dent protection.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
sc2,

I have not gotten new shocks/springs yet. Every time I think I'm onto something, somebody says they've lost ground clearance or some such.

I put the rear shortys on the front, really the only problem I have is ground clearance, 8" as opposed to canam's advertised lie of 12".

Going to wait until I see something that will work and also give me GC. I'll try to remember to let you know, but afraid it's going to be awhile. What I know will work is about $400 for each corner, $1600 total, plus my labor. Pretty steep. Going to wait awhile.
sc2, I wound up installing the Crutchfield shocks/springs on all four corners. They just came out for the Outys.

The front GC went from 8-1/4" to 12-1/4", the rear GC went from 10" to 11". I could not ask for a better handling, safer feeling ride. The bad news, $1400 for all four. Pricey, but handling and tires I do not try to save on, as they both add significantly to me staying on the side of the mountain, not at the bottom of it. No more skid plate dents either due to oem crappy ground clearance. I'm very satisfied with this setup.

Also have the steering stabilizer by Precision Racing Products, all the continuous shocks, vibrations, upper body aches and pains are gone!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

kawiyowee you are exactly correct and I should have added potintial frame problem. I as well have only seen damage from serious impacts with trees and fliping the quad and such.
I in no means was saying the frame was weak I was only posting a simple fix for a potintial weak spot. but thank you for pointing that out and making it know.

And yes my main reason for doing the mod was for dent resistance.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Try the up dated HD springs. My outty has 5400miles and it's only had a few little problems and if they made a 1200 I would buy it.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: brpbear
Try the up dated HD springs. My outty has 5400miles and it's only had a few little problems and if they made a 1200 I would buy it.
bear, how about a 2000 cc?

I always get a kick out of your posts and enjoy your perspective. Do you know Reno here in Grand Junction?

Off topic, back to the top.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I know reno and have ridden with him. Im thinking tubo

Old 05-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

re: frontend sag
try ordering the lower preload springs from the rear shocks and install them in the front lowers (must have spring upgrade kit if your bike is not XT)

MAJOR IMPROVEMENT OVER STOCK Spring adjusters are at 2nd. up from soft now

Quick Reply: How do ya'll like your Outlanders???