CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS is spewing oil....what do you think???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS is spewing oil....what do you think???

Ok, I have a problem with my DS spewing oil.

i have oil all over the tank, on the filler neck side, dripping down the front onto the frame, and even some spots on the rear fenders from wind

I took the oil tank off, and cannot find any cracks. All the hoses are tight, so that takes them out of the equation. this is what I am left with.....

the dipstick. Even though I have tightened it finger tight every time, is it possible for debris to get on the o-ring, and at high revs, and at extreme angles, like those found in the dunes, cause oil to leak out of the top of the filler neck???

what do you guys think??

even if you have something totally different, let me know, as I am stumped

Old 02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Problem with crankcase vent hose maybe? How do you have that routed?

Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

no. it was routed to the back of my bike before, but now is routed down the frame, behind the radiator.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I would say that the O ring is bad on the dipstick and allowing oil to get past.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Its not coming from the filter cap is it? Mine leaks from there unless I get the cover on just right.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Nice ds bigjon...the cap for the filter is problably due to the wire which I am not pos I believe toes to the sprag clutch assembly and it usually gets caught while trying to put the filter cap back on...But I beleive he is talking about the oil tank that is behind the headlight and right where you put oil in the oil seeps out where the dipstick goes(which means the seal or in this case the o ring is bad)

Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bombrider04
Nice ds bigjon...the cap for the filter is problably due to the wire which I am not pos I believe toes to the sprag clutch assembly and it usually gets caught while trying to put the filter cap back on...But I beleive he is talking about the oil tank that is behind the headlight and right where you put oil in the oil seeps out where the dipstick goes(which means the seal or in this case the o ring is bad)
so you are saying it is possible for oil to reach that high on the filler neck during operation of the bike, and spew out everywhere???

Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

learnem... I'm having a hard time believing that oil is coming out of the filler tube... that thing is like 4 inches long... my dipstick doesn't even have oil on it that high after a long ride, and there is a baffle in there so it can't slosh up that high... have you checked the return line that runs under the gas tank, mine looks worn and I have an '02... I see you have a 2000, so I am leaning towards a leaking oil line. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

You didn't overfill with oil did you? shure sounds like an oil line is loose or cracked

Old 02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FatHolly
learnem... I'm having a hard time believing that oil is coming out of the filler tube... that thing is like 4 inches long... my dipstick doesn't even have oil on it that high after a long ride, and there is a baffle in there so it can't slosh up that high... have you checked the return line that runs under the gas tank, mine looks worn and I have an '02... I see you have a 2000, so I am leaning towards a leaking oil line. Good luck!

I thought about that too. Here is why I think it isn't the return line.

at idle, the return line works fine. Even at high revs, in neutural, it doesn't spew oil. the oil is all over the front and sides of the fill neck, and runs down the tank towards the front from there. The plastic, around the two holes up front, is also covered in oil. Does that return line throw enough pressure to make it spew that high up the filler neck and all over the plastic at continued high rpms??

just for safe measure, I will also replace the oil return line, and the line that comes from the crankcase, as it is a 2000, and could use some TLC.

Quick Reply: DS is spewing oil....what do you think???