CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch

Do I have to drain the the water pump before i open the clutch. Just asking never done it before. I'm really bad when it comes to this stuff. I'm Very good with pic's if someone has got some of this (clutch changing). What is the correct tork on the bolts for the springs, I need that too. Thanks a whole lot guys for any info.. I feel like a moron,,,,...LOL

Bryan

Old 02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch

No you dont have to drain it. First pull the foot peg off, disconnect clutch cable. Remove shifter, Remove clutch cover bolts becareful not to confuse the water pump cover bolts with clutch cover bolts. Gently rock cover back and forth unitl she breaks loose from the motor. If your careful enough you can reuse the gasket. Take your time sometimes they can be a little stubborn. They usually hang up around the shift shaft. Some times helps to turn the clutch actuator lever by hand to help it off the gear. Remember to mark where the actuator is to make putting it back together easier. Check to make sure the acutator gears are in good shape. Once you get the cover off simply zip tie it back to the frame somewhere out of the way. Remove the clutch spring bolts (motor in gear) take off cover plate and remove clutch disc's. Be sure to soak your new clutch plates in oil overnight and also be sure to get them in the correct order when putting it back together. Torqe on the clutch springs is 89 in lbs so are the cover bolts. Hope this helps

Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Clutch

Note - 89 in lbs is not much (please don't mistake it for ft lbs). I take them just past snug. I have snapped them off before and then came the swearing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Default Clutch

Thanks Guys.. I will give it a try..DSNUT i will let you all know if there was some swearing...LOL

Old 02-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.dunesand.com/quads/DS650INFO/Clutch/default.htm">clutch install
</a>

Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch

Did you get it done?

In my opinion it wont go back together properly without a little swearing and a trip to the end of the driveway to pick up a tool[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Default Clutch

I have it apart, but i have not done any swearing yet, just waiting for the gasket to come in that i ordered. everyone has been a great help.

PS. I did throw one tool on the floor, then it bounced up and hit my shin...OUCH. I could not swear then, had the little one around...LOL

Old 02-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default Clutch

Bio, I have had the clutch cover off of both of mine several times and haven't had to replace the gasket yet. No seepage or leaking to be found. Yet. I have a pair of gaskets just in case but thus far haven't needed them. I use the money saved on frequent oil and filter changes. Just my .02

Old 03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Default Clutch

Well I have it done for a while now, and my fore-arm is getting it's work out. LOL

Old 03-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch

Ive been working on some clutch pull reduction stuff. Im running an hpr clutch with their springs. I installed a prototype clutch arm thats a bit longer. The clutch pull with the stock cable (old) and arm was about 22lbs to pull (fish scale not exactly scientific but at least an idea) With the prototype arm it reduced it to 14 lbs with the stock cable and clutch lever. Pretty good reduction. One of the problems I might run into is the new angle to the clutch lever. Im working that out with motion pro to put a small bend in the end of the cable to reduce friction. Im also adding a rtc clutch lever to further reduce the clutch pull. 14lbs is pretty nice. Im shooting for 10lbs. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Clutch