CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

01 DS650 Wont start, solinoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 DS650 Wont start, solinoid?

I have a 01 DS and all of the sudden out of noware it wont start, and by that i mean turn over by pushing the start button...i bypassed the solonid and it turned over, before i go and replace this part im just wondering if there are any fuses or anything else to check.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like problem I am having. Ran good all weeend. Then died. wont restart for more then 1 second then dies if it starts at all. Wish I had an answer.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Range Rover

There are two fuses you could check, they are under the seat mounted to the frame one on the left and one on the right about 10 inches apart each other.
Usally bad cylinoid will make some kind of noise(click,click,click...) before going out,
You might want to check the start button on the handlbars, mud& dirt get trapped inside the switch & will not allow it to work properly.( I actually had this problem before)

Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

so thats what those 2 sets of wires are going to that are attached to the frame...i didnt even check them because i just thought it was a dummy end, but however when i by pass the solenoid just putting both red wires that come off it togeather it will start fine, but obivously the starter is spinning so i didnt let it run for more then a few seconds...

now is there a Denso part number for the solenoid?

thanks alot

v581

Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

I just had this problem and it cost me a CDI, Check your ground!!! It my look good but recheck it, I ran a extra ground wire from the battery to the motor, some other folks have had this problem also and had done the same.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

those 2 fuses are good....

like i said...

if i bypass the solenoid it will start right up, and suggestions on a part number??

Old 03-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey my probs werent exactly the same as yours but I replaced the solonoid and I cleaned all my battery terminals and dialetric greased them all as well as I took the ground wire off the frames scraped the frame and cleaned both ends starts and runs better than ever I am not sure on the part number you should have it on the side of yours 182800-2280 12u07 if that makes any sense maybe not but any dealer can get them and be warned they are pricey and very breakable with those damn copper bolts! good luck to you

Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

i was hopeing to just go to the auto parts store and get a more or less universal one, because its just the standard 2 prong style and then the + power wire in and out......

correct me if im wrong but, in theaory if i touch the 2 prongs on the solenoid (not the screw terminals) that this is the same principle as pushing the start button...? also where does the main ground go to? i just got the bike. from a good friend after it sat, he wanted it gone, and it is honeslty is flawless condition, new holeshots, bars, shocks, hmf, nerfs, bumper, ( i actually did all the work on the bike so ik its history, and was riding with him when it died. any how i got it for 900$ so it was FAR too good to pass up, i figure if i dont ride it, turn around and sell it for a couple more bills.

v581

Old 03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried going to the auto parts store they just didnt have anything that small maybe they couldnt find it I dont know. ya thats how the solonoid works I believe its just like a cars if you connect the two its just like turning a key or pushing the button haha! The main ground runs off the negative terminal of the battery to the frame just follow the line

Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solenoid test?
When you jumper the large terminals on the selonoid you will recognize that you are by-passing the selonoid and only proving that the battery and starter is in good shape.

The two smaller terminals on the selonoid is where you would find out if the selonoid will kick in.

There is one that goes to ground and the other may be a red with a different color stripe.
The will be the hot lead to the solenoid. It may go to a Starter Cutoff Relay. Which has 4 connections.
At that relay there may be a wire that goes to the neutral safety switch opposite to that wire at this relay will be another wire that goes to the starter button.
Trace it out and see...

Quick Reply: 01 DS650 Wont start, solinoid?