CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

crank trying to seize

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank trying to seize

you guys are giving me good hope, however why would it run fine the all of the sudden and without changing anything,go to sh#@. pardon my english... I havnt changed anything. the choke is an on or half or off no way it could get stuck. and as nick was saying hold it at a steady throttle and then hammer down, when i do that it dies???????

keep em comming i have faith in you guys!!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

How many hours on your quad? I have seen conditions like you describe when the valves are out of addjustment.
Hope you find an easy solution.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

check your diaphragm which you should be able to get to it from the top of the carb and spray the slide part of it with wd40 and make sure there aren't any tears and I would just clean the whole carb and make sure you can see light through the jets after you spray them with carb cleaner...It def sounds like a carb problem to me, but just look over it carefully and make sure that the boot from the intake is fully on the carb and there aren't any tears in it.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like either the vent line for the fuel tank is pinched or the intake valves are to tight.
Wait...I see your kinda new here. But you have an 01 DS. So can I asume you bought it recently used? If so perhaps yopur new to the DS and a Stock Rev limiter on a DS will cut out very soon when your on the gas. Could you be hitting the rev limiter??? Sorry but just trying to rule out a factory safety/mistake/part.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

yes eagle im fairly new and I am aware of the stock rev limit and thats not it, I did buy this used and it had a ron woods CDI on it but it was burnt so I replaced it with a stock CDI, and after i lowered the needle one groove the bike ran ok and I could tell that I was at the rev limit, however we were riding and it got real sluggish and lost a lot of mid range power. I checked the vent hose on the tank and it wasnt kinked! So would the valves tighten instead of loosen with use? Not real sure about the hours on the bike but relatively low. (still has original tires, grips, with very little wear and tear.

anyone else care to add there 2 cents plzzzzzzz....

Old 03-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Ok well. The valve/valves tighten up because they seat/wear into the head further causeing the stem to seem longer. That causes the gap between the stem end and shim to close up. Some call this when the valves begin to tulips. Of course this may not be your problem. But checking the valve lash/gap is easy.
Another thinfg that it could be is that the stck DS carb needs to be set up in the stock way. At least as far as the intake area is concerned. If you have removed the snorkles that go up under the tank from the air box. Put them back on. The same with the air box lid. The ds uses a vacume slide carb and messing with the air box messes with the vacume the carb can create.
If you haven't messed with the airbox look at it anyway. and check the valves.
If thoes all check out fine then post again. Someone here will hit on the right answer sooner or later.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

you guys have been a great help. come to find out it was the carb and not the crank.(THANK GOD) Seth helped me out big time. I owe ya one buddy! I had the slide set wrong so it was shutting off my air. thus flooding and running real rich! causing the popping and cutting out. Hmmmm leason learned!

Now that I can relax on to bigger and better thing....

Steven

Old 03-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Good job. glad to here it was an easy fix.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]