CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

FOULING PLUGS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOULING PLUGS?

Hi, im a new member to the forum but have been a frequent viewer for a couple of years.I want start out by saying the info you guys post on this form is great!

I have a 2002 ds650 with tvi 720 kit,big gun cdi,mrhp 44 carb,ported intake,no toil filter with no air box just tube, and hmf pipe.I am running 8's for plugs mrhp 1-4 needle, 93 octane fuel,and below 1000ft.I am confused on what to do because with new plugs in the bike it runs great for a little while untill it fouls the plug.I have tried leaning out the needle but it makes the bike run bad and still turns spark plugs very very black.

I have been in contact with eric and Randell from hp via email but they are so busy they have not gotten back to me yet .So any ideas are greatly appreciated....

Old 03-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default FOULING PLUGS?

Welcome to the forums...Well first of all what size jets are you currently running in your bike (pilot and main) or are you runnign what came with carb...Are you runnign the Lectron carb because if so comeone more familiar with the lectron setup will be able to let you know how to tune it as I only know how to tune a reg ds carb...Well if your plugs are black it sounds to me like you are running too rich, because that is an indication of a rich mixture...Also did it just start doing this or has it been doing this for a while because I am thinking that if you are fouling your plugs as quickly as say a 2 stroke then it might be due to your coils, but I would talk to someone about the Lectron and tune it up first and see if you can get it to run and are you running the correct plugs.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default FOULING PLUGS?

How do i tell if my coils are bad?

Old 03-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default FOULING PLUGS?

No you coils should be fine, but I was saying that because you have an aftermarket cdi you may be fouling them due to that or you have jetting issues...I say that it may be you cdi because if your jetting is fine then the cdi may be sending too much of a charge to your plugs which would foul them...I am just giving you some ideas, but I would start with the jetting and get that figured out and if you are good then should look at your cdi.