CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stator Rewinding

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator Rewinding

Scott, are you saying all of those wires and that big azz box is all for just a CDI? I believe ya but looking at that monstrosity I would have assumed that it replaced tha WHOLE ignition system.
It's not just the lighting, he has issues in broad daylight with the fuel pump for the EFI. Even with the aformentioned TWO PC545's.
Ya'll live fairly close to eachother, and since you also have EFI maybe you could pay him a visit and check his mess out. PM me if you don't have his number and you want to get up with him.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

My understanding was that the MSD box is just a complex CDI and does not change any of the charging system. Hopefully someone with a MSD can chime in.

Our 2 EFI systems could not be any more night and day. He has so much extra stuff on there that I wouldn't know where to start!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default Stator Rewinding

Acies thats what im saying i had the MSG to i took it off.And gave it away the vortex pulls one third the ampreage that the msg dose its ampreage reduction diet. That we need to put him on and an onan 22 preformer use a awesome 32 amp rectifier that works great on a ds and is one third the size of the stock unit if he just calls i will rock his world in the amp game. my ds pulls 7.3 amps at full float thats nos pumps and all the goodies.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

Im not sure i want to say this in front of all the ladies but amp draw is hp loss.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default Stator Rewinding

AZ, I'll let him know your theories, well I guess they're not theories anymore since you have real time facts and experience, But I will relay your experience to him and see where he wants to go with it.

Was that your rainbow colored DS at 4SW 06?

Old 04-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

No it was TVIs at that time i bought it right after that and it works just fine these day's if you can send me a link i can send you pictures of the new monrail.I can't get them sized right to post them here.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

I had my DS650 stator re-wound to 400+ watts a year ago, as I have a Turbo EFI & 4 HID lights, plus I plan on adding two more off the handlebars. The EFI uses about 100 watts and although the stock stator is advertised at 290 watts, in reality, they test out at about 240 watts.

I had Kelly at KMS performance get it done. He dealt with someone back east and they tried seven different windings before Kelly got the output he liked....He is REAL particular about his quality!!!

I would call KMS performance to get the stator, as he has already perfected it...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

Just a note, you have to change the rectifier to handle 400 watts also.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

MENTAL NOTE KELLY DID MINE THE FIRST TIME...AZ MOTOR CONTROLS FIXED IT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

I left the stator alone and wired up the 400 watt BMW F650GS rectifier. Works a lot better than the stock rectifier, but I don't use the full 400watts.

Quick Reply: Stator Rewinding