CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment - Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment - Help

I am new to this forum but I could use some help on my 2004 Outlander 330. I recently purchased it used and learned that the cam chain tensioner could cause my ticking noise. I removed the tensioner thinking it was the OEM hydraulic unit(looks like the OEM from the outside) and in the process of inspection moved the adjustment considerably. I am now not able to reassemble it without your help. I don't want to turn the engine over incase I am forced to just reinstall it and just tighten it up as it is. I would prefer to know the proper procedure which I think may involve removal of the top engine cover as if you are adjusting the valves. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment - Help

Update: The tensioner I have is not manual but a mechanical (not hydraulic) automatic system. To make a long story short, the system uses a spring which is connected to the screw plunger and wound under tension to keep the plunger tensioned against the guide. No more hydraulic failure to worry about. Quite ingenious I must say.

If you truly have a manual tensioner, I have learned that to adjust it you must manually turn the engine in the direction of its normal rotation which will bring the cam chain slack to the right postion against the guide. Hand tighten the manual tensioner screw until it just contacts the guide. Back off the screw about 1/8 turn and lock it down. You are done!

I hope this helps some others out as no one seemed to know how to do this.