CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Snorkle for 800

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkle for 800

I have been looking some info on how to put a snorkle on my Can Am 800 every time I go into deep water or hit a large puddle fast my clutch belt slips and I have to drain the compatment. I would like to know how to to put a snorkle on my quad my E-Mail is kevbuilds73@yahoo.ca

I was told I could find it on the BRP web site but I can't find it.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Range Rover
Default Snorkle for 800

A friend of mine just did this mod. Its really easy.

Remove Seat.

Stand on the Left side of the Bike.(left as if you were sitting on it) the CVT side

Remove the Plastic Cover for the left side. very easy to do. just look for the clips, they are held in place by rubber grommets.

now look at the CVT cover. the large BLACK plastic cover on the left side of the bike.

At the back of the CVT cover you will see the CVT breather coming out of it. the Stock breather is held in place with a hose clamp. it travels up about 5-8 inches and then gets really small, and makes a U back on itsself. It is easy to remove.

now Buy some of the White PVC piping. and the proper end fittings that will fit on the hose fitting where you removed the hose clamp. you have to buy the white pvc because it is much more heat resistant than the Black, it takes paint fairly well and you can paint it black.

using elbos route the pipe to where ever you want the snorkle to go. My friend routed it to the front of the bike, and cut a hole through the left front fender and it exits very high on the bike and it is not in the way at all. he did this because when he goes through deep water usually the front of the bike is higher than the back. so he felt putting it on the front of the bike would put it in the highest position. However many people use the Black plastic cover at the left rear of the bike that is in the same position as the gas tank is on the right side of the bike as an exit plate. it;s your bike so you can choose where you want the snorkel to exit. then using elbos create an upside down U on the top of the snorkle so that prevents water from getting in. Final step (optional) remove the CVT Cover (approx 6-8 torx head screws) and seal the cover with RTV. from what I have read on the forums so far, this is quite effective in keeping water from leaking into the cvt at the seams. for some people, simply doing this has even eliminated the need for a snorkel all together. ( I plan on RTVing my CVT seal this weekend)

thats it, your done. less than $50 in parts. and it is very effective at keeping the CVT water free. Sorry I don;t have any pics, but it is REALLY simple. Just take the seat and the side cover off, and it will become very self evident.

I am considering doing this snorkel mod on my 650. but I don't really ride in a lot of water and havn't experienced this issue yet so I think putting RTV on the CVT will be sufficient for my use. However my friend that did this on his 800 rides in water alot and was experiecing this issue repeatedly until he snorkeled the CVT. now he has no issues at all and I have seen him in pretty deep water with no cvt slip.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Range Rover
Default Snorkle for 800

I took off my CVT cover today to see how much was getting in, and was surprised to see a fair bit of dirt and debris. see photos

I am undecided still as to if I am going to RTV the gasket to reduce leakage or simply redo the snorkel. As you can see from previous image there are 2 breathers on the CVT. One at the front, that actually extends very high on the machine.. almost as high as the engine breather, and one at the rear, for exit, that does not go very high on the bike at all. I suspect this is where the leak is coming in. the next photo shows a zoom in on the rear snorkel. you can see how it bends back on it's self in a U, so that helps keep water from splashing in, but as you can see it's not very high. I am considering snorkeling the rear outlet so that it runs out of the left rear access pannel that is opposite the gas tank on the right.

http://www.gerhard.ca/floor/CVT2DSC00088.JPG

Old 06-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Range Rover
Default Snorkle for 800

last photo

Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Snorkle for 800

you need to go to your dealer and tell them whats going on they should know that can-am has a replacement to fix your problem and it should be covered under warranty ... even with silicone it wont keep it from leaking if you have the problem im talking about and if the dealer doesnt fix it then try a snorkle

Old 06-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Range Rover
Default Snorkle for 800

A replacement what? a replacement CVT cover?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Snorkle for 800

I have a 2007 renegade and had the same problem. I built a snorkel system for it and it seemed to fix it. Seems like it must be pretty common because on the 2008 one of the changes they made was a better sealed CVT box. The snokels were very simple to build with plumbing parts from home depot. I had never even done any plumbing work. Instead of using hard pvc for the whole thing, I started at the CVT exhaust hole with a rubber elbow, then to pvc, then to flexible ribbed hose. this allowed me to route anywhere I wanted. The ribbed seem to work better than smooth because it didnt kink in the tight spots. I actually ran it all the way to come out under the dash. This kept the whole thing hidden. Its not as high as having a big stack sticking up but I can go deep enough to submerge the seat. To be safe I used some of that heat resistant silver tape at points where it came close to the exhaust. At the intake I was able to use the stock rubber boot, hard pvc, then flexible hose. This also was routed to come out under the dash. These are actually vsible right at the steering stem.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Snorkle for 800

go to nyrocatv.com look for snorkle pics 500xt