CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Are we going to DS Days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are we going to DS Days?

Glad to see everyone had a good time... sorry I couldn't get there, but the conversion is about a week or two behind. Should get the parts back from powder coat next week. Anywho..... You guys are talking trucks and that's something that I know a few things about. Probably not as much as you guys, but a little. Jed, that programmer that you are using, is it the Power Pup or the Triple Dog? Also, what Edge product were you using? I ask because all do things a little different. The PP, has a nice little setting for towing. The level 4 is too hot for towing. it will skyrocket your egt's. I've used Edge, BD, Bully Dog, Banks, Zilla, TST etc.. etc... I do like the edge overall but what I'm running now has not shown any negatives to this point. I am now running an Edge EZ fueler under the hood and have a Bully Dog Power pup stacked on top of that. I've got both on level three. The dyno put me at a total gain of about 95rwhp. I gained about 205tq at the rear. As you may or may not know, boxes can be very similar and very different. For example, the Edge attitude adjusts timing, duration and pressure. The Edge EZ only adjust pressure. The Power Pup from bully dog does both at certain levels.
Damn, have to go to a meeting. I'll get back with ya... Sorry for the drive-by-posting.

BD

Old 09-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big D, I was running the triple dog before. I am now running the juice with attitude. Even if I put the truck on stock setting, the egt will climb to over 1500 degree's. The only time my temps stay in check, is when it is giving full boost. It only does that for a while, then the boost drops off heavy. I go from 35lbs - 23 lbs, and thats when she starts to get hot.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Jed, you need to send the device back. first off, it doesn't sound like it's coming out of programmed mode and letting it loop back to stock. Also, with the way your boost is acting, it sounds like it's wastegate function is also in error. I'd check both with Edge. Your truck should automatically de-fuel at 1360 and NEVER go over that (in stock mode or with no mods to fueling or timing). My truck automatically de-fuels at 1340 and will run there all day.

For the chap that talked about melting a piston at 1350.... not to worry. You won't melt it down. Now if you start to sustain 1450 and up sustained,,,, yes, you will have a puddle of gue!
We actually will run temps of 1650 and even 1750 for short bursts with out ill-effects. I'm talking 8 - 10 seconds... before I start to get scared.

I personally know several guys running around pushing 900rwhp that see 1650 every day. Then again, they are running sub-11 second quarters and go through about 1 tranny every 6 months.

As a former Diesel form administrator, I would often suggest to members that they should monitor egt with a complete stock truck during tough pulls and periods of maximum torture. You'll find what the engine designer's safe point was real quick. In Jed's case, his safe point is not applicable because he's trying to get to stock through a controlling device. That's why it's easy to say that his programmer/controller is faulting. His stock program/ecu should only hit 1360 for his year. I believe that he has the 07 (right Jed???).

I tow just about as Big as Jed Cat Scales put me at 15800 and the truck at 8050 for a combined 23850, and I can do Baker Pass at 74 in OD with the air on keeping it at 1350 all day long. There is one point that I go to 68 for about 20 seconds... Remember that this is an 04 with 35's. I do have 4:10's on front and rear for those that are wondering. I believe that Jed's truck came with that ratio as well. I installed mine after the fact.

Again, I think that Edge is just about as good as it gets. Any piece of electronic equipment can fail.... but in my history of building, modding and consulting on diesels, Edge seems to have about the safest and most successful track record.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Mike, thats what I am hoping. First, that the gauge is bad all together. Second, that it really has not seen 1600 degree for aslong as I was pushing it. Third, that while I am sure it was not creating the right boost, that it didnt drop the boost through the gauge, and let it still fuel. That would mean my temps were right, and I am in trouble.....

Yes the truck is an early 07'. Meaning it still has the 5.9. I also have a full intake system, and no cat.

Thanks for your help Mike.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

No worries Jed... the de-fueling process is not controlled by the boost but rather the IAT, EGT and CT. All them work in conjunction with each other. What kind of peak boost were you making? The EGT probe only sends a certain amount of Millivolts to the guage. The guage translates the amount of millivolts into a certain indicated temp. Most likely the EGT's that you saw were correct to a point. One of three things happened...
1. The guage is bad (or monitor) and is not converting correctly.
2. The probe is bad thus causing the sent info to be bad.
3. You actually did pull those temps and you are SCREWED.

Honestly, if you were pulling those tems and the truck has no perceivable change in function... it's probably one of the first two.

Unplug the Attitude at the plugs and re-plug to the stock config. You can leave everything else alone. Don't worry about the EGT line (just leave it for now). Take the truck out and see if anything changes. You'll most likely notice a change in idle pitch and/or lope (smoothness). Run like that for a while. Now, once back to stock, take the power out of the attitude by disconnecting the grounding strap. Run it for a while. Now plug everything else back so that the attitude is on and working. If it changes... and is ok... great. If not, send it back. I had one that would keep putting a truck into LIMP MODE. It would work for a week and then go skitzo. Went back to EDGE and it's been fine since.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I must say, I laughed out loud on #3!!

I'll try and do that this weekend. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Picked up the truck last night. . . got home about 2am this morning. . . then Daughter's Soccer game this morning. Cleaned the trailer and went to a late lunch. . . food hit my belly and I was a walking zombie. 2 hr nap made things good.

Good to have the truck back. Time to pick-up a code reader, etc. Back to the Diesel forum for more info!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cynick

Just checked Bud's website, those video's are awesome. So who's the pilot?[img][/img] [img][/img] (He sure is good)</end quote></div>

If you are referring to the last video, you are right lol

Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DragonDJ11

Just checked Bud's website, those video's are awesome. So who's the pilot?[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] (He sure is good)</end quote></div>

If you are referring to the last video, you are right lol</end quote></div>

a yeah sure. NOT. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Hey your all good.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DragonDJ11

Just checked Bud's website, those video's are awesome. So who's the pilot?[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] (He sure is good)</end quote></div>

If you are referring to the last video, you are right lol</end quote></div>

a yeah sure. NOT. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif" border="0[/IMG] Hey your all good.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

haha, after I saw that he got one of me on that baby I could not pass that up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Are we going to DS Days?