CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Please help before the pulls VIDEO POSTED NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help before the pulls VIDEO POSTED NOW!

Don't bother helping me on this one. I am not riding a DS. There should be a DS forum all to their own, and a Can-Am BRP section.

OK, going to the county fair tomorrow to pull the sleds. Done this many times in a truck, but never entered the atv pulls. Any suggestions? Weight addition, tire pressure, etc? Here is what I have. 2005 John Deere Trailbuck 650 CVT. Here are the tires I put on last week.

Clicky Here For Tire Picture

Old 08-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help before the pulls!

What are the rules for weight and set up?

For air pressure I would tire my quad to something to big to move and spin the tires. Adjust pressure until the holes they dig are flat across the width of the tire.

I would get hitched as high as possible to the sled to pull the sled up and your quad down for bite.

I would add all the weight the rules allow and as far forward as possible.

Make sure you have tension on the sled at the line so you do not have slack, and hammer the throttle at launch to get your wheel speed up as much as you can. Get all the speed you can before the sled starts transferring weight.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I can't help you much. Just what I have read.
The hitch placement on these quads are far from good. You won't be able to fix that in one day though.
Load it up with weight. The more the better. Take it to the max weight limit for your class.
I would run about 3 PSI in the tires. You just don't want to pop them off of the bead.
Get it moving quickly but don't punch the throttle; roll on it.
If you had a Traxter I would say run it in 2nd low. You have a CVT so that will not matter. Your going to be in the right gear!!!
Good or bad, let us know how it goes with your Bomb.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. Here is what I know.

Weight limit without rider is 700 lbs in my 500cc up class. I am in stock class. Have to have factory exhaust. Hitch Height can be no taller than 14" from ground. The hitch is no problem. Have complete access to machine shop. Here is a link to the hitch I have made for it. Hitch In Second Posistion

Are my tires going to completely suck on a more packed dirt surface? I am taking sand bags (5lbs each) with me to add in the front storage area under the rack.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Well??????? How did you do?????????

Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry, I posted on other site but forgot about here.

I was upsetto find out when we got there that there were not enough people to runa 650 stock class so thet made us bump up to the mdified class. To make a long story really short, I filled the front storage compartment with water, pulled 28th in line of 34 atvs. I pulled a 199.9 with a full pull of 200. I received 50 dollars and 2nd place!!!! There were some guys who did not understand why their Brute Forces' with mods, and polaris' were outdone by a stock John Deere. Until they found out that "WOAA, THAT THING HAS A ROTAX, AND VISCO LOCK!! THATS A CAN-AM!!!!!" I have it all on video including the other classes but have to find a 1394 to usb connector because this new computer won't hook up to my digital camera. I too the money and entered the Utility class with Rino's, 800 can-ams, and such. 27 entries and I placed 7th so that is ok. They had a lot more weight on for that class and I pulled a 168.7 so I was happy with the ol' deere! I will find a adapter tomorrow and post a link for everyone to see all the different atv's pull.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

WOW!!!!!! That's too cool. Congrats dude!!! 2nd out of 34!!!!!! And in a mod class to boot!!!
I have to ask; what won? And how mod'ed was it?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Man, I can not find a firewire to usb adapter. Have to go to radio shack tomorrow and I can post the whole pull. It was a modded kawi, not sure if it was a brute force but it was lime green. the friggen front tires were about 14" wide and they were grooved just for pulling. He had the bar hanging out front with weights and as soon as he hit the throttle there was no lag, just started turning tires about 50 mph! He wouldn't go into much detail about the mods. It lobbed like a friggen Harley when idoling. The others that were modded was more or less cdi box's, intakes, exhaust, weights and tires, and suspension (solid bar made to keep back end from squatting at all which I didn't do anyways. Hopefully I find an adapter tomorrow. Anyone have one that can remember where they bought it. Wally World don't carry it!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you did good, I like to see the vids.

If you want to improve, make a hitch that's closer to your rear axle. the farther back it is the more weight it take off the front, (fulcrum effect), plus the farther back is like making the hooking chain longer, less lift on the pan of the drag.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Here is half of the video, about 10 minutes worth. Took a while to upload 65 mb's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71r7bB1rtg0