CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Engine oil ? for the engine guru's

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil ? for the engine guru's

Is there any difference in running a hi quality motorcycle 4-stroke oil, (such as Torco, Yamalube or Red line) opposed to just a quality motor oil, like say Castrol synthetic in my bomb? The only reason i can come up with for using a (motorcycle oil) is that there might be some extra additives in it because it's both in the motor and transmission. Somebody straighten me out LOL.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I use Valvoline 10w-40 in all my Honda and Chinese thumpers. No problems with clutch slipping. I use AmsOil 10w-40 motorcycle oil in my KTM 400. Is your Bom a high performance model or a air cooled thumper? If its high performance Id go with a motorcycle oil. Motorcycle oil have additives to cushion the tranny. If its air cooled I would save your money and just use regular motor oil.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

I run castrol 20-50 in everything. I Like a little extra thickness in hopes that it will give a little extra protection when lighter oils would have broken down from heat. its turbo approved and because of the extreme heat turbo's are HARD on oil

Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I run Klotz techniplate in mine. Spendy but great oil.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Regular motor oil has detergents in it that you don't want in your bike. It can also have wax or parfin which can eventually clog oil passages. Theses oils are not designed for wet clutches either. Stick with a proven motorcycle oil. I like Honda GN4.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only run synthetic oils.

I run Klotz 10w40 in my DS due to the wet clutch. You do not want to run an automotive oil in a bike with a wet clutch due to the friction modifiers added.

I run Mobile 1 in my Polaris with the CVT belt tranny.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

fatholly, years ago penzoil and quakerstate were both parafin (wax)based oils and did leave a heavy build up inside your engine over time . I dont believe anyone is using parafin anymore. lets face it, most of us dont have the oil in our bikes for more than a couple hours at a time before it gets changed. I have honestly never seen any super ingredient that makes motorcycle oil any better that standard automotive oil. owning several bike shops over the years I have had access to all kinds of "bike " oil and tried several brands and never noticed any difference even after tearing a motor down. I can tell you that I have had clutch issues with synthetic oils and have had to replace clutches because they were slipping with synthetic. I used to run my 1978 kz1000 based (long stroke )big bore drag bike (old school now , state of the art then) to 11750 rpm's at verey shift and did this every week for 2 years before I tore it down. my piston speed was way beyond safe back then and it survived just fine on castrol 20/50.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

valvoline is also a good oil and did you know that all napa brand oils are made by valvoline?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: supersonictoys

fatholly, years ago penzoil and quakerstate were both parafin (wax)based oils and did leave a heavy build up inside your engine over time . I dont believe anyone is using parafin anymore. lets face it, most of us dont have the oil in our bikes for more than a couple hours at a time before it gets changed.</end quote></div>

Yea, you're right on about the oil changes... I don't go more than a couple trips without a change, so the chance for build-up is slim, but I have read that the detergents suspend small particles from the clutch packs causing a buildup very similar to the older waxy oils... it WOULD take quite a while to cause serious damage(years without an oil change) but I would rather not take any chances. I'm probably just being ****, but hey whatever floats your boat right???LOL

I have had issues with a slipping clutch before, and the switch to the Honda GP4 made all the difference in the world. I just don't have the time or cash flow to take any chances.... also, if I lose my clutch in the middle of the dunes... I'll need a North Star buggy to pull me and my bike back to camp.LMFAO

Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SST, I believe its the opposite, there are less additives in wet clutch motorcycle oils.

Did you have trouble with a synthetic motorcycle oil? I have not had any trouble with the motorcycle specific synthetics.

Quick Reply: Engine oil ? for the engine guru's