CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just bought a new Can-Am

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007 | 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Just bought a new Can-Am

I was gald to hear it was a simple fix, and makes sense if you think about it. If they aren't properly torque up, then they will give when you put a load on them just enough allowing them to squeal. I don't know about yours, but mine sounded awful. Almost made you wnat to grind your teeth, maybe not quite as bad but you get the picture. My only other complaint is that it's not too easy to start it in gear using the brake. The dealer told me the pressure relay switch probably was faulty from the day I purchased it. Other than losing a air through the beads over a period of time, there isn't anything else I could find fault with.

Old 10-05-2007 | 01:16 PM
Range Rover

Mine is ez to start in gear, but it only has about 50 miles on it and about 7 hrs. I'm gonna put it through the ringer this weekend and quit takin it ez on it, cuz the break-in is almost over!

Did yours get better on the top end when you got it broke in?

PS = yes, that squeal was a terrible thing to listen to. I wouldn't ride behind that 800 because of that noise! Was almost as relieved as he was when he finally got that fixed.

Old 10-05-2007 | 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't really noticed it being much more powerful, and have no idea where people are getting the speed they've posted. 80-85mph, the fastest I've had mine going sown hill on blacktop according to the speedometer was 74mph. The fastest off blacktop was across a frozen lake then I had 69mph out of it, 64mph in 4wd. Not like I have a need to go down a trail that fast anyway so I could care less, it's still 20mph faster than my Wolverine and gets there twice as fast. The speeds posted in a magazine reflected what I've had on mine so I have no idea where people are that they're claiming to be going 85mph on a Renegade. Arctic cat's Thndercat is claimed to be faster than a Renegade and the top speed reported on that is barely 75 which would just be be a few MPH faster and of course you would have to be holding it wide open for a long period of time before you would see that top speed start to be apparent. I have yet to see a trail that's three miles long and perfectly flat and straight enough where the extra 4mph top speed will make a difference. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's as fast as a Wolverine, it's fast enough on the trails for me. I'd much rather have the punch and snap available and on tap when I'm only going 0-20mph. I think the average speed during a day's riding is only around 10mph anyway and that's riding hard. Believe it or not, some of us on here actually ride where they're meant to be used, in the woods and on the trails where the tough gets going, and the going gets tough. Occassionally there might be a field or two here and there where 40mph is a possibiltity, otherwise I ahve no need to go 65, 70, 75mph or faster. I'm sure people will read this and start moaning about riding on the roads and some will say not everyone rides in the trails, and they like going fast or there Renegade is confirmed to go 85mph, blah blah blah, and why they feel the need to make those claims is beyond me. Maybe it's because they need to feel special or are lacking attention maybe. I'm sure everyone thinks their 450 YFZ, Renegade, Outlaw, 450R or whatever is faster than the next guy's quad, and I'm sure it is if they say it is it must be true.
Somehow I went off the subject, anyway back to your answer, no I haven't really noticed a change since it was new, then again I don't really get to open it up where it hits 800rpm either, but I think every machine does gain a little horsepower after break in whether it's noticeable or not is another story. Did I ramble to much?

Old 10-05-2007 | 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

The 85MPH Renegade you speak of is probably yhe Epic Renegade in DirtWheels. But they teamed up with Can-am and were able to play around with the ECM. There is a lot of potenial left in these motors [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2007 | 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

If it's a modified Renegade, sure I could see that too, but I'm talking about the people on here that claim there stock Renegade doing 85 mph now that it's broken in. You seem like you're pretty down to earth, out of curiosity what have you gotten yours up to on the speedometer?

Old 10-05-2007 | 02:16 PM
Range Rover

I feel the same way as far as going 70 mph! I probably never go over 50-60 mph, even when we were on the long straightaways on my old scrambler. It didn't have a speedo, but i could outrun bikes that did have speedos that were reading 55+, but it gets a little bit too squirrely for me right there!

I have just noticed on the gade that there is a whole lot more power at the lower end than the scrambler, but it feels less capable at the top end. I opened it up all the way the other night on a short blacktop run back to the house and got about 53 out of it, but I could smell the thing was getting hot, so I backed off. Don't want to hurt it during break-in. I was just curious. Probably not fair to compare that 800 rocketship to mine anyway!

Old 10-05-2007 | 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Probably shouldn't hold it open more than momentarily during break in. A word of advice, I'm use to soaking the foam air filters on my old Yamahas with foam air filter oil, and squeezing out the excess, apparently I wasn't suppose to do that to the foam cover on the Renegade, since it has a paper element underneath. Anyway apparently there was enough excess that it got absorbed into the paper element and may have been causing it to not get as much air as it should've. As a matter of fact, there was a time or two when it bogged when I got on the gas. I'm thinking that may have been the cause. Putting a new paper filter on it today, so it shouldn't lack any power now. Like I really noticed before.

Old 10-05-2007 | 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

75MPH... I havent checked the top speed since about the the 8thHour. Been doin mostly mud ridin for the last 50hrs

Old 10-05-2007 | 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

If it continues to bog, take it in to get your Fuel pressure checked out

Old 10-05-2007 | 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

only happened twice that i can remember and each time I think the air filter needed to be cleaned