CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

01 ds650 water in oil but no oil in water? also a rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 ds650 water in oil but no oil in water? also a rattle?

i bought my son a 2001 ds650 three months ago it was spitting water out the tail pipe we pulled the motor cleaned it up installed all new top end gaskets it runs strong but water is gettin in the oil not much. he can ride all day and only loose 1/4 quart of water but it goes in the oil. no more water out the tail pipe.it also has a rattle that will be hard to explain the noise goes away when you pull the clutch in even if motor is revved up it only does it @ sertain shift points mostly if your just lugging along it does not make it if your on it hard or slowing down. sounds like it is coming from right lower outside cover. thanks for any help.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my DS was losing coolant into the oil, it turned out to the the water pump seals had failed and the weep hole was plugged up so the coolant went into the engine.

I got a water pump kit from a BMW dealer that included a new impeller, shaft and both seals needed. I just told them I needed it for a 2000 F650 since they use the same engine. Only took about 30 minutes to install.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

ok thanks got any ideals what the noisemight be?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TheStir

When my DS was losing coolant into the oil, it turned out to the the water pump seals had failed and the weep hole was plugged up so the coolant went into the engine.

I got a water pump kit from a BMW dealer that included a new impeller, shaft and both seals needed. I just told them I needed it for a 2000 F650 since they use the same engine. Only took about 30 minutes to install.</end quote></div>

Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your rattle only while moving? My chain slaps around on the swingarm guide under light to moderate load and it took me awhile to realize what it was.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

I am thinking it is the chain slapping a bit also. Check your tension on it and make sure you have it tight enough.....

Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

the chain roller will go bad and raddle bad

Old 10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

it does sound like the chain and assoon as i pull in the clutch it stops. it only does it when your lugging never when your on the throttle hard like when you top out and back off then give it a little gas m chain is tight because we had the motor off to install gaskets. i have a few used parts and know of a good salvage yard if i do not have them and i will help answer any question you have i own a shop but this is my first ds650 my son is only 13 and it is his. i ride a antique quadzilla. you can google mikesbikesmalden the first 6 pages are mine!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Trailblazer

i got the parts coming i will post back if this fixed it or not. thanks for the advice

Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

These guys got you on the right track as best as I can tell [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Get the Chain Roller from James Lucky - upgrade it to a bearing type roller.

The water pump seal is the best bet for your coolant issue. I recommend the replacement kit from BMW as the impeller is already installed and pinned.

Check your counter-sprocket seal too. I had to replace it on my 2001 so, good chance you may be due as well.

You should probably flush the brake lines. If the res isn't clear in color you are due.

Check your rear bearing carrier for lub. Probably due to get checked. You may want to just drop new bearings and bearing seals in. . . do a search. . . part numbers are on pervious threads. I think Hightower posted them.

Upgrade your tail-light to an LED. . . I can't tell you how many I replaced until I finally upgraded it.

Check your sprockets and chain. You may be due for new ones.

f650(dot)com has good engine info as the DS engine is the same engine in the BMW F650 bike.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the info i know all of the regular stuff just was wondering about the oil/water system on the ds i work on atv's and own a small/med size business in malden mo i orderd a complete waterpump set up pin impeller and both seals. from bike bandit. should get in today and im gonna install it today.

Quick Reply: 01 ds650 water in oil but no oil in water? also a rattle?