CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Frozen rear end - cannot adjust chain!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen rear end - cannot adjust chain!

Alright well the rear end on my 730 is pretty frozen up. I REALLY need to adjust the chain (its WAY loose). The problem is, I have already broken off one of the solid steel shafts you stick through the sprocket and into the bearing carrier to rotate the assembly to adjust the chain. The problem is it will not budge and every thing I have stuck in there either bends or breaks. I cant afford to have something snap again and get wedged in there or I will lose permanent adjustability and will have to buy a new carrier.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to free up the carrier? does it mean the bearing are frozen? I have also noticed a MM or two of play side to side if I pull/push on the tires. I am hoping I can just buy new bearings??? Has anyone used the bearings on ebay?

Any help is appreciated!!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The bearing carrier is a cylinder pack that goes in the Swing-arm. All those broken bits are in between the carrier and the swingarm. The cylinder pack for the carrier isn't a complete cylinder so, the pieces will be on the outside of the bearing carrier. Nothing to worry about with those pieces in there.

Do you have an Alum. sing-arm? I found the alum. swinger with the alum. bearing carrier would gall together and be very difficult to break-loose.

If you have any play, I would replace the bearings and seals and check the axel for wear.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Do not ride it this way..... If you have not already done so, you will wipe out more then you want.... My dad wiped his out bad awhile back and cost over $200 just in parts.... You need to tear it down get some new bearings and pack them really good with grease...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey man I just had the same problem! my bearings and seals were gone and also there is a clamp on the brake caliper side that was all seized that was stopiing it from adjusting! Thats what is prolly stoping it on yours! But replac the bearings and seals anyways! I snapped off so many things in mine! good luck man! I tookl mine to the shop wanted it done properly!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

yeah i have the little tool they gave, 3 screwdrives and a few allen wrenches broken off in mine, its ridiculous and my chain is super duper looooooooooose

Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, Can you move the adjuster forward ??? There is a stopper on the bearing carrier that won't let it move any further backwards, wonder if the adjuster is at the stopping point ???

Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have dealt with this many times, on the DS and other bikes as well. tiny bits of gravel or grit get between the alum carrier and the steel wall of the swinger, and during the most recent and previos adjustment rotation they gouge themselves into the alum and jam it all up. If you cannot get to rotate either direction no matter what you try, fear not -

remove the axle,
remove the the large clip from the carrier that holds it and the brake caliper mount - you WILL need the proper snap ring plier for this, you might get it off with alternative methods but if you try to reinstall it without the proper tool you will end up tearing up the alum groove it goes in!,
and then drive the carrier out of the swinger using a block of wood and a plastic deadblow mallet. clean it all up good, file/sand off any gouging, then reinstall it. Do not bother lubing the inside of the swinger or the outside of the carrier with anything - it will only attract debris.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info guys.

And thanks for the details chris! By the way how is the DS running? I have not talked to you in a long time!