CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is The XT Width A Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is for the XT owners. Have you found the width of your XT to be a problem and will this quad fit in the back of a pickup. I was wondering if the 50" width is from fenderflare to fender flare or wheel stance. I noticed the other Traxters didn't have as wide of a stance and was just wondering if this truely is a big problem.

woodtick

T Barnes

Old 01-14-2001, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

Yes. it will fit a pickup.
Do not know the exact width, but it does not seem to be a problem for anyone that has one.
I ride with a chap that has one and never seemed to have any problem at all.
I have the regular Traxter and some times I change over to the AG tires if we are going to the mud areas.
The AG tires are wonderful for mud, dont clog up like the other tires, they just keep cleaning and pulling.
Good luck

Old 01-14-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

The width is a problem in some of the areas that I ride. I ride in OHV parks in Northern Ga, and Abbeville, SC and I can guarantee that a XT will not fit between the trees in some sections of the trails. I also have ridden on private trails and some of those trails also pose the same problem for an XT. I was considering an XT myself, but I have to admit that I have a prior history of Honda ownership and my satisfaction with those machines led me to buy a new Rubicon. The XT has potential, but I think they need to change the offsets of the wheels to try to make it as narrow as possible and also to drop about 100-175 lbs.
Just my $.02

Old 01-15-2001, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

Woodtick, the XT has Blackwaters on it, which is why it's a little wider than the other traxter's. Width is a problem on some trails. I opt'd for the fender bars (goes from back rack to foot rack down the front of the rear fenders) and they've taken the brunt of the tree's and bushes. Also put a nice spiked piece of brush through my front fender. Better the fender than my leg. I have a small pickup so we use a little Haulin trailer (4X8).

Good Luck,

Old 01-15-2001, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Do you have any pictures of this fender bar?

Old 01-15-2001, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

TexMud:

You can find a picture of the fender bars at the bombardier websit: www.bombardier-atv.com/home.htm
Hope this helps ya.

woodtick

Old 01-15-2001, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fishbones:

So you own an XT? I'm wondering if the XT will fit between the fender wells of my fullsize pickup?

woodtick

Old 01-15-2001, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

Woodtick, Measure the inside of the wheel wells, of the box, not the interior of the box, but keep in mind even if the wheel wells are less than 48 inches apart, you can still get the traxter in the box providing you have about 20-22 inches in front of the wheel wells (for the traxter tires). If not, then the ATV sits high in the front of the box and rubs the cab with the winch or back bumpers depending how you load. Looks hoky, and a little unsafe. One of my friends is buying an XT, but we will use a 101 inch trailer to haul them together or the little haulin (4X8)for the solo trips. I think it costed about $400 and haulin has a bunch of accessories to add (most you can make). Are you doing lite forest work? Have you looked at the XL (with box)? That XT is kinda pretty to be draging stumps. I went with the basic traxter and added garp ohla, but it still is a nice machine.

Good luck,

PS I can use my little trailer in the woods behind the traxter, as well as haul the atv behind the truck. I carry two spare trailer tires just in case.