CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

IMS 4-5 Gallon Gas Tank for DS650

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 11:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is anyone interested in a larger gas tank for the DS650, IMS will make one for us, BUT they are waiting to see how many people place an order - if enough people do they will make it. Anyone planning significant power mods to their DS650 should definitely consider a larger gas tank. More power means more gas guzzled! DS owners need to join together with our requests to get more aftermarket parts made for the DS. If we don't ask for what we want we may never get it!

www.imsproducts.com
email@imsproducts.com

Here is what IMS e-mailed to me:

"RIGHT NOW WE ARE SEEING HOW MAY PEOPLE WE CAN GET TO BUY THE TANK. IF WE CAN GET A LOT OF PEOPLE THEN WE WILL MAKE ONE. SO IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY ONE THEN EMAIL ME YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PAY FOR IT BUY CREDIT CARD THEN LEAVE YOUR CARD# OR YOU CAN PAY C.O.D. YOU CAN CALL AND PLACE THE ORDER ON THE PHONE IF YOU WOULD LIKE ALSO. 1-800-237-9906. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS."

Old 01-17-2001, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

Congratulations Scooby, I just noticed you have a 2001 DS650 Turbo / EFI on order, when did you place it? how soon will Steve deliver it, are you coming to Salt Lake City to pick it up? if so lets get together and compare notes.
later

Old 01-17-2001, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I talked to Steve about his Turbo/EFI the week after the sand sports supershow last fall. After seeing the picture from the sands sports supershow that I found online recently, I decided to give Steve a call to see what ever happened to the Turbo/EFI. Since he was selling the proto-type, I offered him a significant amount of money to build me a brand new system. He thinks he can have one ready for me in 6 weeks, which would be around the 1st of March. I will probably have it shipped to Texas though - it's actually cheaper and I'll save the vacation time for riding instead of transporting! If I decide to pick it up I'll let you know.

Old 01-18-2001, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

is Steve putting an intercooler on your bike?
If so I'll have to go see him and see how it comes together. Steve tells me the intercooler will safely boost power an additional 10%, maybe we'll get a 100hp out of these rides.

Old 01-19-2001, 01:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Who makes a swingarm for the DS?

We didin't talk about putting the intercooler on. I'm not sure it would be straight forward due to lack of a place for it.

I certainly don't want to be stuck at 85HP maximum, forever. This is a good starting point though. A little nitro would boost power, but you'd still have to deal with the heat. Would redline water wetter make much of a difference in engine temperature? Setting up the EFI and injectors for methanol would allow for much higher boost at lower temperatures, but twice the fuel consumption as gas. Boring the engine to 700cc should give more power? Running a low compression piston should give more power? Running a higher octance race gas would allow for slightly higher boost?

Old 01-19-2001, 03:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would love to join in one the idea of getting IMS to make a high capacity tank for the DS650, but unfortunatly, I don't own a DS650 at this point and I don't imagine they would give a hoot what I say. Though I suppose I could call them and let them 'think' I own one and am interested in such a thing. I know in the future when I do buy my DS650 I'd like to get ahold of a high capacity tank, so in theory that should count for something... How many of you true DS650 owners have contacted IMS besides Scooby? Hopefully everyone.. (Wishful thinking)

Old 01-19-2001, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

I'm getting the extended swingarm from Steve, you'll have to ask him who his source is, if you're interested, but I do know it's a custom build.
As for the intercooler Steve strongly recommends installing one if you are going to race the bike alot. His recommended placement is, cradled directly behind the front bumper ( the intercooler from a Dodge Daytona he says, will work perfectly there) you will have 2 1/4" chrome pipes running with the body line contours up to the yellow plastic nose then following the lower contour line of the gas tank and hooking up on one side to the intake manifold and the other to the turbo (keep it away from engine heat as much as possible). The intercooler is good for dropping the intake air temp about 100 degrees and allows for running higher boost safely. Also Steve strongly recomends
running no less than 110 oct. race gas to protect the engine.
I'm planning on adding the radiator shrouds that Alba sells to aid in cooling. One thing is sure- she is gonna be a screamer when I get done.
My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Old 01-19-2001, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

I would like to buy a new tank as well, but honestly I have not contacted them. I will however contact them at the E-Mail address in the first post in this thread. I am so pissed off at Dynojet! Those idiots shipped me the wrong jet kit, I got the kit for a Suzuki DR650. Then on top of that, they won't take the wrap that they screwed up and overnight night mine to me. Now i have to wait till next week to put it on. This sucks, but o well I guess others in here have bigger problems that they could bitch about. C- ya fellas.

Old 01-20-2001, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

(sitting here, shaking my head) I have to wonder a few things about scooby.
They would be:
1) He is the most dilligent (or hard headed) atv nut that I've every read of. He's been through everything with the DS and still, he's determined.

2) He must have a serious need for speed.

3) He won the lottery or worked his way to the top of a very high paying job.

Way to go Scooby! That' cool, a turbo'ed DS.

Old 01-20-2001, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

I hope we can get IMS to make us a tank to get one like the one that won Baja cost $600.00

Quick Reply: IMS 4-5 Gallon Gas Tank for DS650