CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anybody replace their rear axle bearings? I have a question for you!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody replace their rear axle bearings? I have a question for you!

*Edit* I just got rid of my original post, as I finally got the carrier out!

NOW I have yet another issue.... I cleaned up the carrier and pulled the bearings out (Kind of made a mess of the bearings as they didnt want to come out).

I bought a pack of "All *****" rear bearings. The main part of the bearing (I beleive they are called needle bearings) But it has a Taper (to fit the taper of the carrier of course) but then the other side is just flat. In the package All ***** includes what looks like a shield of sorts (its a thick metal which makes me think its not just a shield to protect the bearings in the package). The shield matches the taper of the bearings, making it flat on both sides. DO I NEED THIS? I am 99% sure I DONT, but it just seems weird they would include two of them (one for each bearing) if they were not going to be used on the install.

Are they just there because some applications use that to make a normal bearing (two flat surfaces instead of one tapered, one flat??)? I would imagine something like that would be used on the front wheels where its a flat surface on both sides.

I just set the tapered end in against the tapered part of the carrier and it fits well. There just seems to be a rather large gap between the bearing surface (the flat one) and the outside of the carrier. I do have the new seals they included which obviously fit in there... I just want to make sure im not suppose to somehow put this other flat/tapered ring in there somewhere!

If even one person can poke their head in here and give me a Yes or a No that would help me out greatly! I just realized we are out of grease (just have this thin white lithium grease) so im going to buy some marine grade thick heavy black stuff at the store tonight.

Any input is greatly appreciated! You guys have helped me out immensely through this process!

*PS* Ignore the 6-7 posts directly below this, as they pertain to the original thread (about getting the axle carrier out). I already have two threads on the main page so I didnt want to waste space with ANOTHER new thread about the same problem!

Thanks guys!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Update* finally got Snap ring off bearing carrier- now I cant get the damn thing out of the swingarm!!!!

I have fought that problem on several quads that have extended swingarms. Sand, salt and whatever can get in there and almost weld it. Lots of penetrating oil and I used flat chisels in the gaps where the adjusting bolts are and forced it as far open as I thought I could get away with. Allways the same, sand and junk with vibration and it is almost welded together. Patience, perserverence and WD 40, it will come apart.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Update* finally got Snap ring off bearing carrier- now I cant get the damn thing out of the swingarm!!!!

It is possible that your carrier is totally trashed at this point also causing major difficulties for you.... My dad's froze up like that 2 years ago, and that is what we found after we finally got it out. Gotta grease them bearings every so often. But yep, just a lot of WD-40 and thumping, and cussing, throwing the hammer, having a drink, and repeat as needed..... Sorry, could not resist. Good Luck, and I hope it is not that bad for you...

Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Alright Its just as I thought (and feared!). I guess I will just have to keep going at it. I did douse it (as much as possible...not much surface area to get the wd40 into seeing as how most of it is covered by the swinger) with WD and am going to let it sit for awhile before I go back at it.

The bearings seemed tight (very little to no play in the axle side to side) but I just got the bearings since they are only like 30 bucks...figuring they would need to be replaced soon enough anyway.

I was looking on ebay at carriers...and looks like the only one still around is the RAD dual row...but at 175 bucks I am really hoping I dont have to replace the carrier. Even the stock carriers are like 100 if I remeber correctly.

I have this fear if I try to open up the swingarm too much its going to crack the swinger housing... I guess Ill just have to use my best beer goggle judgement.

What do you guys use to hit the carrier to get it to pop out? I have been trying a stiff rubber mallet, a block of wood and a 3 pound hammer, and also folding up a rag and using the hammer against the rag (against the carrier). So far it hasnt budged even a MM. I am assuming once it moves even a tiny bit it will free itself and be much easier to get the rest of the way out.

So ASSUMING I can get this bastard out...should I just clean the outside of the housing off really well (what touches the inside of the swinger)? I just want to be able to adjust my damn chain again!!!

Thanks for the tips guys!!

Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

not gonna help you alot but, wd-40 doesnt seem to cut it for me. I use P.B. Blast, that stuff is great! its magnetic or somethin, it actually will suck into places and even disobey gravity if its near any kind of metal opening. it's always worked better for me then the old WD. other then that, good luck, I need to adjust my chain but I doubt I'm gonna have the problems you're having.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

ya i have some PB blast I use on exhaust bolts, so ill have to spray some of that in there....

I STILL cant get this damn thing to budge!!! Im kind of worried at this point... I am almost afraid to actually pull the damn thing out in fear it will be trashed and not go back in (or go back in...and still not be able to be turned).

I am about ready to stick on a 15 tooth front sprocket and hope that takes out enough of the slack that it is tight enough (maybe a 16 if I can manage to get the chain back on...)

Any other ideas would be awesome!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Range Rover

How about putting some heat on it. Your replacing the bearings anyways, so get it really hot with a torch and let it cool a bit and then try to beat it off. I do some bearing work where I work at but with bigger bearings and all. The heat tends to make everything expand and cooling it will let it come back to play making it all move and break free. Hope that works!!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

so heat it up (the carrier and the swinger I assume? since they are so close both would probably heat pretty equally) and then beat on it once its cooled back down, or while its hot?

I just need to get this damn thing out, replace the bearings and be able to adjust my chain so I can have some peace of mind that the rear of my quad isnt spread out all over my garage floor!

Thanks everybody

Old 03-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

On one of the quads that really gave us problems, I used a hardened bolt in a hole in the rotor and into one of the holes that you use to adjust the chain tension. Then I used the rear wheel to rock it back and forth until it started moving. Be careful, you get a lot of leverage and I snapped off one bolt.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I finally got the bastard out! It took 3 guys, a lot of PB spray, some heat and some swearing. This thing is NASTY! Most of it is from the PB I assume, but there amount of small grit (almost powdered) sand is crazy... I am going to start the rebuid process tonight with totally cleaning/degreasing the inside/outside of the carrier and the swinger housing. I am going to do my best to keep any oil/grease off the outside of the carrier/inside of the swinger to make sure any grit that gets in there dosnt have something to stick to.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

Quick Reply: Anybody replace their rear axle bearings? I have a question for you!